1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sangla Valley - Beyond Shimla, Before Tibet

Discussion in 'Destination Guides' started by djtravels, Oct 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. djtravels

djtravels Member

Sangla Valley is one of those distant lands that many tourists don't even know about. The place is nestled in the Himalayas and has every feature of a beautiful movie set. And still, it gets very little attention and is almost never marketed as a destination.

Sangla-Valley.jpg

Getting There

As the heading says, it's beyond Shimla and before Tibet (or China - rolls eyes).

Distance Between Shimla and Sangla : 250 Kms.
    Mode of Transportation: Road

The reason I have mentioned Shimla is because you'll have to get there to move towards Sangla.
    There are no airports near Sangla, but if you do get stuck somewhere, you will get airlifted by the military.

Conditions of the Road: The road is a tight hilly road and is single-lane in many places. Only trained drivers should drive on this road - Trained means trained in hill driving.

Time Required To Travel and Stay

At least 4 days!

Places of Interest

Tent accommodation in Sangla Valley
    - Once you reach the valley you will find yourself surrounded by snow covered peaks, and a lovely stream running in front of you. The stream is the Baspa river. The best way to enjoy the valley is to stay in the tents offered by various agents there. No way around paying off the local agents, but it will be worth every penny.

Chitkul village - It's the last village of India before the border begins. The village itself is just a bunch of wooden houses on a small piece of land. The rest of it is really beautiful trekking ground. So, trek away. And don't worry, you won't suddenly find yourself in Tibet if you get lost. It's really far away. You will be overwhelmed by the number of "picture perfect" locations during your trek.

Rakcham trek - This is a 4 hour trek and you really won't need any motivation to stay on this trek. The path is beautiful and nature lovers will have a lot of fun there.
    Kamru Fort: It's 1000 year old fort and was the first seat of power of the rulers of the region. The architecture makes for an interesting photo-op.

Best Time To Visit: Between Feb and November.

*There are no "Sangla only" cabs. Since there are a lot of attractions and destinations on the way, for example Narkanda. It wouldn't make sense to not get off at these stops and enjoy activities unique to these tourist destinations.

Cost(Inclusive of transportation, lodging, etc.) By cab (Rs. 25000 per person) and by Bus (Rs. 10000).
    As you can see, the major cost is related to transportation. This is why, since you're going to travel through various other destination, it would be better to plan for a longer trip (7-8 days).

The easiest travel package I can think of is the one offered by Yatra. A great offline travel agency is Ambassador travels in Shimla. But, you will have to plan to get to Shimla if you want to use their services.

2. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

You are right when you say that many tourists don’t know the place. This is the first time I’ve heard of that. And thanks for posting the picture, it has added to the value of this thread. I am very interested in Tibet and this Sangla Valley is one good way of coming near Tibet. However, I am turned off by the amount of time needed. That 4 days is my full vacation already. Besides, I don’t think we have the energy for trekking long distances. Talk of seniors huh. But anyway, I enjoyed reading the article. Thanks.