1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saris And Other Traditional Clothing

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Drifter, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Drifter

Drifter New Member

I really admire the handiwork and beautiful designs of traditional clothing such as the sari and would love to experience this (and contribute to the local economy) by purchasing and wearing it myself while travelling there. Would this be considered disrespectful, as I am obviously not Indian? I would not want to give the impression that I'm a tourist 'playing dress up' just for fun.

2. RBean

RBean New Member

Yes, the sari can be a beautiful work of art but I personally wouldn't do it. I'd buy it to take home. It's interesting that a lot of the things I've read show that a lot of women in India, especially younger women, wear western clothing during the day.

3. Amelie

Amelie New Member

I think in some temples it's actually required that you wear one before entering the premises, although of course they will be provided by the management. You just need to drape them over your clothes before offering your prayers, kind of like when some restaurants lend men neckties if they're not wearing one. But in your case, maybe it's best to observe the locals first, see how they'll react to something like that. Because some may find it offensive, while some may even encourage it. I hear in Pakistan, it's actually appreciated.

4. Tabitha

Tabitha New Member

I think you are right Amelie. My daughter went into a temple and they gave her a full body wrap to cover her shoulders and legs before she could proceed. I think the saris are lovely and some of the women dress up so beautifully.