1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Time Of The Year To See Tigers And Other Wildlife

Discussion in 'Itinerary' started by George, Jan 31, 2016.

1. George

George Member

I know that during the summer months in India it gets very hot. However, I would love to see tigers and other wildlife during the mating season. Does anyone know when the mating season starts for these animals? Would this be sometime in late fall?

2. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

Tigers engage in sexual activities through out the year and do not have fixed mating season. They are able to reproduce through out the year. By the time they are 3-4 years, they are sexually mature.

3. George

George Member

This is interesting and I am happy to know this. So it won’t matter what time of the year I visit India. I can always see the tigers in their mating season.

4. Daphne

Daphne New Member

I had no idea that tigers mate throughout the year. I thought they were like the rest of the cats family. This is indeed very interesting.

5. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Well that is good news that you do not really have to make plans for a certain time of the year, but that is a pretty specific request so you might have to do a little more research into your tours and the area that you are in to make that one possible. It did not mention anything in all the stuff that I read or that I looked at, and I could be wrong, it just seems like something where you might need to know someone.

6. Rita P

Rita P New Member

If you would like to see tigers, summer is the best time for sightings. The reason being that tigers visit the water bodies frequently during summer, something that you need to consider if you're visiting wildlife sanctuaries during winter. Regarding their mating season, I don't think that there is a season per se, any time could be right for mating.

7. George

George Member

Thank you for the wonderful tip about tigers visiting water bodies frequently during the summer months. I was thinking of late spring or early summer to visit India. This way it won’t be so hot when we are there.

8. swalia

swalia Guest

It is advisable to visit during the months of September- October. Summer months are too hot and the wild animals are generally hidden in their caves or shelters. Same happens during extreme winters. Moderate weather is always the best.

9. Aidan

Aidan New Member

I have always wanted to see tigers in their natural habitat, but I have never had the chance to do it even while visiting Thailand. I am really looking forward to it.

10. Voyager

Voyager New Member

I don't think that tigers can be easily seen even in their natural habitat. As pointed out above they are seen when they come out for water and that might not happen at the exact time that you happen to be there. It is a matter of luck actually and you may or may not see one.

11. grace

grace New Member

Like most zoos and safari type places at home, I've found the best time to visit is during the cooler season, when they aren't sleeping the hot day away or hiding in the trees and caves. I would assume it would be the same in India. Besides the animals sleeping, summer may be too hot for a person to be sitting in the sun waiting to see animal.

12. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

It is really difficult to study tigers in their natural environment. Good thing that reserves are built to help us see them more in their natural habitat and their natural life. Anyway, first of all, female tigers become mature at the age of 4 years and male tigers mature at the age of 5 years. Usually, they mate all year round but more on the cooler months of the year. So this is probably November to February, sometimes up to March. Good luck and I hope you spot tigers when you visit the reserve!

13. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

rainy season and winter season are considered bad time to see the wildlife. rainy season can be muddy and winter can be foggy therefore you should av0id these two season. Spring and summer are best time to see the wildlife. March through may are best time to see the wildlife. In spring and summer there will be less vegetation which makes easier to see animals.

14. xTinx

xTinx Member

Most wildlife animals don't have a particular time frame when it comes to mating. You may chance upon it or you may not. Cross your fingers. And I agree, it's better to go and see the animals during spring and winter. Wet and cold weather will mar your enjoyment. First off, the roads will be muddy, Second, it's too cold to go outside. Third, the animals may be hibernating.

15. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

Try going to India (or any other place) OUTSIDE their holidays, because the tourist destinations and famous areas are really crowded during this time. Go during exams week, or weekdays, any day that you think will lessen the crowd in the streets. I know, it sounds pretty antisocial, but you really can't hope to enjoy yourself and appreciate the scenery if you're competing for a photo shoot with around 200 people at the same time. It's really easy, just make sure to go early too, as afternoons really get crowded everywhere.