1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shared jeeps Siliguri-Gangtok-Lachen in North Sikkim

Discussion in 'Sikkim' started by AkashWB, May 21, 2016.

1. AkashWB

AkashWB New Member

I will be travelling solo from Siliguri to make the Thangu-Chopta-Muguthang Valley trek. I don't prefer contacting tour operators. Can you please help me regarding the following, and maybe provide some contact number of drivers for these:

1) I will start from Siliguri, and reach Gangtok (via SNT bus/shared vehicle preferably)

2) As North Sikkim permit can be issued at police check post (as per the Tourism website), I want to hire a shared vehicle to Lachen : is it possible, and if yes, what will be the cost? Where can I get these?

3) Is there a police check post at Lachen, and can I get the North Sikkim permit there? (I know that I can travel up to Mangan at least without permit, because I went there in December without one and I can definitely get a permit from the DGP post at Mangan but this time I don't want to stop at Mangan [because it is far from Chopta-valley], but instead stop & arrange permit at Lachen)

4) I will stay overnight at Lachen and then make the Chopta valley trek. Will I get guides there at Lachen for this? If yes, where can I get them, and cost, etc??

5) I want to return back to Gangtok from Lachen the next day, so, can I book shared vehicle at Lachen for this??

I start in 2 days, please advise me urgently !!

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

You can find shared jeeps outside Tenzing Norgay bus stand near Siliguri railway station and these are frequent so you shouldn't have much trouble finding one. You will be starting from Siliguri so it is a good idea to find out about the timings a day before as you are a local resident and shouldn't have trouble going there to find out first-hand information. Don't forget to update this thread when you do find out.

You have to be extremely lucky to find one of those, not a frequent thing at all. Look for other options I would say.

Yes, there is a police check post at Lachen. I am not sure if you can get a permit there but here is a list of phone numbers of concerned officials at Lachen police check post and police stations : Chungthang Sub Division North Sikkim

3. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

If you want to enjoy toy train ride then it is also available from the station.. but frankly speaking its not worthy if u compare it with the shimala toy train..

getting a taxi would be the cheapest and fastest mode.