1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Places To Visit In Sikkim

Discussion in 'Sikkim' started by Wanderlust, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Wanderlust

Wanderlust Member

Sikkim is one place that I always wanted to visit. We are planning for a Sikkim tour in the coming days. We will be traveling in a group of 4 and we will have around 5-6 days in hand to explore the best places to visit in Sikkim. Gangtok, Pelling and Ravangla are already in our itinerary, but I think we will have time to visit a few other tourist destinations of interest. Could you please suggest some of the must visit places in Sikkim, apart from the three mentioned above?

We are particularly interested in visiting the offbeat places in Sikkim. We would like to avoid too much commercialized places and hordes of tourists. So please keep your suggestions limited to serene, quiet and peaceful locations.

2. Debapriya Deb

Debapriya Deb Active Member

Sikkim is undoubtedly one of the most gifted state in India when it comes to natural resources and scenic beauty. There are a lot of interesting places to visit in Sikkim. 5-6 days may not be sufficient to visit all of them, but you can surely cover more than just Gangtok, Pelling and Ravangla. These are definitely the most popular tourism destinations in Sikkim, but places like Lachung, Yuksom and Zuluk have more to offer to the tourists who are looking for an offbeat experience. Yumthang Valley is yet another must visit tourist place in Sikkim, if you are a nature lover. I am listing down below a few of the other amazing places that can be visited during your Sikkim trip.

Tourist Places to Visit in Sikkim

1. Tsomgo Lake - Lying at an altitude of over 12,400 feet, it's definitely worth paying a visit to this mesmerizing Tsomgo Lake. If you are visiting Sikkim in the winter season between December and January, then don't miss the chance to catch the frozen Tsomgo Lake. Just around 40 KM away from Gangtok, you can easily cover this during your Gangtok stay.

2. Nathula Pass - Another beautiful place situated at a distance of just 55 KM from Gangtok. It used to serve as the historic 'Silk Route' trade path that connects India with Tibet. The high altitude mountain pass offers some stunning views of the snow-clad Himalayan peaks.

3. Rumtek Monastery - A spiritual abode of Tibetan Buddhism, the Rumtek Monastery is a must visit tourist attraction in Sikkim due to its eye-catching architecture and brightly-colored exteriors. It is one of the most revered Tibetan Buddhist monasteries in India.

4. Do-Drul Chorten - The largest Buddhist Stupa in Sikkim. An extremely scenic place with great religious significance.

5. Namgyal Institute of Tibetology - A very interesting place, the Namgyal Institute of Tibetology is the best place to learn about Buddhist cultures and traditions.

6. Uttarey & Varsey - If you are a trekking enthusiast, then it certainly deserves to be in your itinerary. The Uttarey to Varsey trek is a famous trekking trail that is also popular by the name of 'Valley of Flower Trek' and 'Rhododendron Trek'. The Rhododendron Sanctuary at Varsey is one of its own kind in the entire country and deserves to be visited by every nature lover.

7. Khecheopalri Lake - A beautiful natural lake set amidst rustic natural surroundings in the West Sikkim district. It can be covered as part of your Pelling sightseeing program.

8. Gurudongmar Lake - One of the highest altitude glacial lakes in the world perched at an altitude of over 17,800 feet above the sea level in the North Sikkim district. The place attracts trekkers as well as religious tourists in equal numbers.

Apart from the ones mentioned here, there are many other places to visit in Sikkim. I have just listed a few places based on your inputs and interests.

Regards,
    Deb

Wanderlust, Admin and briannagodess like this.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

That's a great list @Debapriya Deb! I can add this to the list:
    • Yuksom. Since you're looking for serene and not crowded places, then this one's the best for you. It is located in the Western part of Sikkim and is also known as "The Meeting Place of the Three Lamas." It is also the home for one of the oldest monastery in Sikkim.
    • Pelling. From this town, you can view the Himalayas Range and Kanchenjunga Peak! There are also waterfalls in this town which you can visit. Aside from that, other activities like mountain climbing and biking can also be done.
    • Ravangla. The best thing to do here is to watch birds. It is said that the rarest species of birds can be spotted here aside from the more common ones.
    • Jawaharlal Botanical Garden. This is a very colorful and fun place to visit. Aside from that, it is home to rare and unusual plants as well. Some medicinal plants are known to only grow here too.
    I hope this helps!

Admin likes this.
  4. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I agree with visiting Rumtek Monastery. There is also Pemayangtse Monastery and Phodong Manastery. Then Zemu Glacier. The glacier is absolutely beautiful, and has some excellent views. But it depends on what you want, whether cultural or natural sightseeing.

Wanderlust likes this.
  5. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

Nathu la pass is a must see... I missed it while on our trip to gangtok but people say its heaven!

Wanderlust likes this.
  6. Wanderlust

Wanderlust Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. As I can see there are a lot of interesting places to visit in Sikkim and I will try to accommodate as many of them as I could during my Sikkim trip.

7. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

why dont you even visit Darjeling its a nice place near gangtok ;)

8. integrity101

integrity101 Member

That's a pretty conclusive list provided Debpriya Deb. I've heard of great stories about Tsomgo Lake near Gangtok. It's worth visiting too.

9. Sonali Roy

Sonali Roy New Member