1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shimla Kullu Manali Trip Plan

Discussion in 'Himachal Pradesh' started by Aman, May 20, 2016.

1. Aman

Aman New Member

Hey, guys, I have joined the forum to get some help with a trip I am planning with my family to Shimla, Kullu, and Manali.
    It will be the first time I will be heading towards Kullu Manali, but I have been to Shimla before. Altogether we have 14 days of the holiday which we need to split up between the three destinations. Apart from the information, I will be given by the forum members I also have some questions which would partially provide information about the trip plan as well.

• What is the distance between Shimla and Kullu?
    • What is the distance between Kullu and Manali?
    • Are 14 days enough for all three destinations?
    • How many days should be spent at each destination in Shimla, Kullu, and Manali?
    • What is the weather going to be like in June in all three destinations?
    • Please list the things to see and do in Kullu
    • Please list the things to see and do in Shimla
    • Please list any famous places to eat in either of the destinations

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Kullu is a little over two hundred kilometers but the drive will take upwards of five hours.

Manali is less than fifty kilometers from Kullu.

Yes that is a good enough duration.

If I was you I would spend the most time at Kullu purely because I do not like crowded places but that's just me.

Shimla will be warmer as compared to Kullu and Manali. It will be pleasant at all three places barring Shimla in the afternoon where it gets a bit warm.

Temples, treks and natural beauty. Local festivals are also a major attraction but you will have to time your holiday for that.

It is a hill station, go for long walks and browse the local shops, look at the mountains and sit by a bon fire if your hotel lights one up for you in the evening. Mall road has a lot going on in the evenings.

I personally did not find anything that I would say is extraordinary at either of the destinations.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The distance between Shimla and Kullu is about 210.3 kms which can take anywhere between 6 to 7 hours of travel time.

The distance between Kullu and Manali is about 40.1 kms which can take an hour or more of travel time.

Yes, 14 days would be more than enough time to explore these 3 destinations. You can even include Dharamshala and Dalhousie in the itinerary since those are plenty of days.

You can divide your days equally for these destinations so about 4 days for each one of them. Since travelling from Shimla to Kullu can take some time, you'd have to allocate a whole day for it already. The other day should be used as a buffer day or an extra day in case there's a delay in your plans.

Here's a little breakdown of the weather in these three destinations during June:
    • Shimla: The month of June is considered as still summer season in Shimla. Particularly during the beginning of June, since summer season is from April to June. This is also the peak tourist season in the area because of the pleasant climate in Shimla. Some tourists want to escape the heat of the other regions and so seek solstice from the cooler climate in Shimla. Towards the end of June, it's not unusual to experience some rains as the region goes toward the monsoon season.
    • Manali: The best months to visit Manali are from March to June. The same goes like Shimla, the summer months are the best times to visit this region as well. Although if you'd like to participate in snow activities, you can only do that from November to February.
    • Kullu: The same goes here, the summer months are the best times to visit, from April to June. It's best to avoid the monsoon season which starts at the end of June as rains can get harsh. Trekking is a favourite activity here during the summer months.
    Here's a compiled list for you:

Places to Visit in Kullu
    • Hadimba Temple. This temple is dedicated to Rakshasa Hadimba. This temple is surrounded by thick forests and it is mostly made from wood.
    • Basheshwar Mahadev Temple. This temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva.
    • Nehru Kund. This is a natural cold water spring with water originating from the Brighu River.
    • Sultanpur Palace. A majestic palace depicting Pahari style of architecture.
    • Bijli Mahadev Temple. Best known for its lightning tower that gets struck by lightning every year.
    Activities to Do in Kullu
    • Take a dip at the Vashisht Hot Water Springs which is said to heal diseases and skin infections.
    • Trek the Rohtang Pass and see the amazing views at the top.
    • Enjoy white water rafting at the Beas River.
    Here's another compiled list for you:

Places to Visit in Shimla
    • Shimla State Museum. There's various collections of artefacts related to art, culture and the history of the region.
    • Daranghati Sanctuary. This was once a hunting reserve for the royal family. Now, it's a large sanctuary for various wildlife animals.
    • Annandale. This was once a race course for cricket and polo. Now, it's a golf course and also a helipad landing.
    • Chadwick Falls. Just after monsoon season, the falls transform into a magical spectacle.
    Activities to Do in Shimla
    • Trek the peaks here: Jakhoo Hill, Summer Hill, Naldehra and Shaily Peaks.
    Here's some restaurants in Kullu Manali:
    • The Zing Zing Bar and Restaurant. This is located in the main market of Model Town. You can find Indian and Chinese cuisines here.
    • Chopsticks. This is located in the Manali Mall. Their specialty here is the Trout Fish.
    • Mount View Restaurant. Another one in the Manali Mall, they have a wide variety of dishes. They have Tibetan, Japanese and even Chinese cuisines.
    • Raj Rasoi Restaurant. For authentic Punjabi, South Indian and Jain cuisines, this is the place for you.
    Then, here's some restaurants in Shimla:
    • Qilaa. Located in The Mall in Shimla. They have different cuisines but they are best known for their Falafels and Chai Teas.
    • Ashiana and Goofa. You can find this in The Ridge at the lower bazaar. They are best known for their authentic Himachal cuisine.
    I hope this helps!