1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shimla to Kullu Manali distance

Discussion in 'Himachal Pradesh' started by Veer, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Veer

Veer New Member

I am going to Shimla which is an easy drive from Delhi, and I have been there before. This time round I would like to go ahead to Kullu Manali, I understand that its quite a distance away and the roads are hilly and curvy, which would mean slow driving and it would take a lot of time.

I would like to know the Shimla to Kullu Manali distance, and the time it would take to reach.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Veer! Welcome to the forum!

There are different routes that you can take to reach Manali from Shimla. But on average, the distance between Shimla and Manali is about 248 kilometres. Driving this distance can take around 7 to 8 hours, more or less. Here are the routes:
    • Route No. 1 via Bilaspur - Shimla > Ghahahatti > Namoli > Bilaspur > Barmana > Sundernagar > Mandi > Kullu > Manali.
    This route is about 248 kilometres long but this is also the shortest one out of this list. You can reach Manali in about 7 hours or less with this one. This is also the most preferred route by buses and even truck drivers, so there can be traffic especially during rush season. However, road conditions in this route are pretty good and smooth.

From Shimla to Bilaspur has good roads, just remember to continue from Namoli to Bilaspur. Do not take the Swarghat to Bilaspur stretch as it has bad roads and heavy traffic. But other than this, you won't encounter much issues with this stretch.

From Bilaspur to Manali, roads get considerably better. Barring a few kilometres in Kullu and Manali with some rough patches, the drive is enjoyable and very scenic too.
    • Route No. 2 via Mashobra - Shimla > Mashobra > Naldehra > Tattapani > Karson > Mandi > Kullu > Manali.
    This route is about 260 kilometres long, the second shortest in this list. This route is very scenic but has some rough patches, it's manageable though. Traffic here is comparatively lesser than the first route given.

From Shimla to Tattapani, roads are in good condition. There are some rough patches around Naldehra but beyond that, driving is a breeze here. Coupled with the beautiful views, you would enjoy the drive.

From Tattapani to Manali, roads are good. Again, barring a few kilometres from Kullu to Manali.
    • Route No. 3 via Narkanda - Shimla > Narkanda > Kingel > Jalori Pass > Banjar > Aut > Kullu > Manali.
    This is the longest route at 290 kilometres long. But the sceneries here are very beautiful though. Most roads are double lanes only so they are a bit narrow.

From Shimla to Jalori Pass, roads are average. This stretch is also subject to weather conditions, when it rains hard or snows hard, it can get closed. So do check in advance before approaching this route.

From Jalori Pass to Manali, roads are also average. Since you're descending from a pass, do be careful with the winding curves. Aside from that, enjoy the scenic views along the way.

I hope this little guide helps you. Enjoy your road trip!:)