1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solo female traveller in India

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by blueblossom, Feb 3, 2015.

1. blueblossom

blueblossom New Member

Hi people,

I am 20 years old French female travelling to India for a couple weeks, but I am not sure where to go, how to go and what all I can expect. I want to do some adventure activities and trekking too. I will be on my own during my entire stay in India so please suggest some safe spots to enjoy my time in India.

Thanks

2. Aadi

Aadi Member

Hi

In which month are you planning to make this trip and how much you are planning to spend? These are the two questions which will decide your itinerary, stay and activities.

What type of adventure are we talking about, do you mean water sports, Ariel activities, river rafting or something?

3. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Have a look at Dharamshala/Mcleodganj, Manali and Kullu, Shimla, Leh and surrounding areas and see what interests you. You could also have a look at Sikkim which is also a pretty safe place. I personally wont recommend going solo on long treks. Traveling solo as a female is never a problem if you just use commonsense but trekking in the woods is a different thing.

4. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Here's some of the safest places in India you can choose from:

1. Nainital. This hill station in Uttarakhand, Nainital is known for its hospitable and warm people. Nainital also has a 88.2 crime rate as compared to the national crime rate of 218.67. This makes the hill station a great destination for solo female travellers. Some activities you can do here are:

• Trekking. There's lots of trekking adventures to choose from: Guano Hills, Tiffin's Top or Naina Peak.
    • Cable Car. The Nainital Ropeway provides cable car adventure for tourists.
    • Boating. You can do this in Naini Lake or Bhimtal Lake.
    • Elephant Safari or Jeep Safari. You can do this in Corbett National Park.
    2. Shimla. This is another hill station in Himachal Pradesh this time. The great thing about hill stations is that they have many lodging facilities for tourists. Shimla has a 202.95 crime rate as compared to the 218.67 national crime rate. It's a little higher than Nainital but it still is a good record. Shimla only ranks 398th in all states with crime records in 2013. Some activities you can do here are:
    • Trekking. There's lots of options here, from the Jalori Pass to the Bashleo Pass.
    • Rafting. You can do this in the Tattapani River where the rapids are great for rafting.
    • Ice Skating. They have the oldest skating rink in Asia and it's a must to try this even once in your life.
    3. Varanasi. This is located in Uttar Pradesh. The total crime rate here is only 138.08 as compared to the 218.67 in the national crime rate. Here's a few things you can do here:
    • Enjoy their cuisine. There's lots of restaurants you can choose from here: Flavour's Cafe, Brown Bread Bakery and Tunday Kababi.
    • Try out yoga. The Yoga Education Training Society conducts classes for yoga.
    • Shopping. There's lots of malls and bazaars here to satisfy your shopping cravings.
    • Temples. Visit the Vishwanath Temple, Bharat Mata Temple and Tulsi Manas Temple.
    4. Sikkim. Sikkim is probably one of the best states to visit in India. With a crime rate of 139.38 as compared to the national crime rate of 218.67, it has one of the lowest rates in India. Here's some things you can do here:
    • Trekking. You can trek Gangtok in Sikkim and have some unbeatable fun.
    • Cable Car. The Ropeway Cable Car is a must do here as well.
    • Rafting. The Teesta River provides some great rapids for rafting.
    5. Darjeeling. Undeniably, one of the safest districts in West Bengal. This has a 105.21 crime rate compared to the 218.67 national crime rate. Some things to do are:
    • Toy Train Ride. Reach different destinations with this toy train that attracts tourists all over the world.
    • Trekking. It's also possible here: Chattakpur and Singalila are just some of the trekking routes you can take.
    • Paragliding. You're in for an adventure as paragliding can also be done in Kalimpong.
    6. Lakshadweep. You can reach this via an airplane from Kochi. The crime rate here is very low at 62.04 only. Many of the islands are restricted for tourists although some are okay to visit as long as you have gotten a permit. You can do some activities here:
    • Snorkelling, Scuba Diving, Water Skiing and many more water sports. The islands you can do this in are: Agatti, Bangaram and Kadmat.
    I hope this helps!

Admin likes this.
  5. Normad

Normad New Member

Thank you for all your helpful suggestions. As a female traveler myself, any tips come in quite handy and are very much appreciated. I love to travel by myself but I find that I don't get to do that much because of the safety issue. But knowing that other female travelers out there are going it alone gives me a bit more confidence that I could do it too.

6. Ramakant

Ramakant New Member

I will suggest you visit wonderful and safe places like Rajasthan, Leh Ladakh, Sikkim and Kerala...

7. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

We travel often and sometimes we meet a single female traveling by herself. I admire those women who are adventurous as to travel alone. I don't think I can do that myself because it is lonely to travel alone. Anyway, we had met this woman who is in her late 20s when we were in Japan earlier this year. She said that her only big expense is the plane ticket. She is availing of the Airbnb although she was not able to fully explain the details. What's best in traveling alone is that you can do whatever you wish, she said.

8. iamawriter

iamawriter Member

We met this person on a beach here in India. She was travelling alone and gave us a report on her experience and how safe she has been through all her travels. She said she chooses to wear Indian outfits not to draw the attention to foreigners. That is a good idea I think

vlcsnap-2017-09-18-08h35m13s312.png

9. Jia

Jia New Member

I don't exactly know what you are looking for in regards to adventure, but I can give you some suggestions which would give you different kinds of experiences of traveling and adventure. You can visit hill stations like Shimla, Mussoorie, Manali, Munnar, Coonoor, and Coorg are good places to travel if you're on your own but do make sure its the peak season so there are always tourists like yourself and others around. Other places you can visit are Jaipur, Goa, Leh, Kerala and also some national parks like Jim Corbett or Periyar National Park.