1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking Indian Sweets On The Flight

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by PaulGarner, Feb 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. PaulGarner

PaulGarner New Member

I have been in India for 2 weeks now and have gorged on the sweets the most. I would really love to take some back home in Toronto, but don't know whether the flight would allow taking sweets. I don't intend to carry them in my hand luggage but instead, pack them in the suitcases which would be checked in.
    Do you think I would be able to do this?
    Need some honest feedback as I don't want to purchase the sweets and then have to take them out and bin them at the airport.

2. Aidan

Aidan New Member

Normally, it should be fine. However, the best thing you can do to be sure is to ask your airline and see if they allow sweets or not.

3. Delilah

Delilah New Member

I don't see why taking sweets on your flight should be a problem if they are packed well and placed in your check-in baggage. But I still think asking the airline is a good idea.

4. JoJo

JoJo New Member

Did you bring snacks with you on the way over? I always put a snack bar or two in my carry on bag when I travel. Surely you would be allowed to do the same on the way back. How many sweets are you planning on taking?

5. Ritika Sharma

Ritika Sharma Member

I am not sure but i think there is no problem in carrying sweets with you in flight.

6. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I've often brought various candy back from international locations. I assume most countries are the same in that they may search your bags but as long as you declare it on your customs form, you're usually safe. If I buy packaged sweets I always write that they are packaged - I think oftentimes they just worry if they're loose items with no ingredient list or things like that - I imagine that just rings some alarm bells for customs officials.

7. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

From my own travel experience, I think you should be fine. But how much are we talking about? Are you filling up a whole suitcase? I did something like that with a coconut candy I bought in Vietnam. I had about forty pounds of it, and the customs agent looked at me a little oddly, but let it through. Ultimately, they could stop you and confiscate it, but they could do that if you just packed dirty clothes. The TSA, Customs, and any other inspectors are very hit and miss, and far from consistent. I would not worry too much.

8. xTinx

xTinx Member

As long as you don't bring more than what's needed, taking home sweets should be fine. If your customs officials aren't so stuck-up, then you just might need to be careful with your purchases.

9. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

That must have been some good coconut candy!

I know what you mean though about the inconsistency of customs officials...I've had times where I've been searched (to the point of having to pull stuff out of my suitcase and them rummaging!) and other times where they have just waved me on through without so much as a second glance. It really depends on the person it seems!

10. Elizabetonth

Elizabetonth Member

I brought back Indian sweets for my cousin's wedding on a flight from Delhi to London, and it was fine. Not an eyebrow was raised. I can't say for sure that it would be the same going to Toronto, but I don't think you'll have a problem. Two weeks on, though, have you already flown back? Did you take sweets in the end?!

11. Geena

Geena New Member

This is totally fine. I've brought back many and know many friends who have and not once have I had or heard of any problems at all. You're going to be completely fine too, I'm absolutely sure.

Pack it well, though. Best if you can find a small carton box to put them in so they wouldn't crush.

I used a shoe box and it worked like a star.

12. rajesh

rajesh Member

I am glad that you like the sweets of our country. If you want to carry the sweets to your home, you can definitely take them in your flight. No one will stop you. They will allow you to take sweets in the flight. Make sure to carry them in an 'airtight container'.

13. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

It shouldn't be a problem but I would pack them in several separate boxes or cases. Just reading about sweets in India I get the sweet tooth so I understand you perfectly. It may look like contraband if you take a large amount so this is why I said several smaller cases :). I actually do not think so but I had a bit of a problem when I went to Malta several years ago. I have some friends there and they 'ordered' some Serbian food from me. They looked at me strangely on the customs but in the end they let me in and I also brought some things from Malta back to Serbia.

14. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

It is such a mixed bag on what they will let you take or not take. I know people who have flown and passed through customs with seed potatoes, which is a big no-no. Sometimes, you can take these things, but sometimes they will say no to bags of chips and bottles of unopened water.

15. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

Pretty sure it's a given that you can take souvenirs with you when you go home. Just make sure it's not a ridiculous amount though, as even airport security have their limits. Maybe a small bag will do? But from my experience if you are nice enough to security they are pretty lenient when it comes to their rules, as long as you maintain the safety of the passengers and aren't acting suspicious. They are people too, and they just want everyone to get home safely.