1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Levitating Stone In Shivapur, Maharashtra

Discussion in 'Maharashtra' started by Rye, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Rye

Rye New Member

Has anyone visited the Stone of Qamar Ali, the levitating stone in Shivapur? They say the 154 lb stone can be levitated if 11 fingertips touch it and Qamar Ali's name is shouted out. Have you seen the stone levitating?

2. Maple

Maple New Member

I've seen images of it, but that can't always be trusted. I think it's one of those things you have to experience to believe it. That said, I would love to hear from some people who have seen it in person.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The Levitating Stone in Shivapur in Maharashtra is a phenomenon that has baffled many people for a long time. Try lifting the 200-pound stone by yourself and you won't be able to do so. Try lifting the stone with a group of friends and still, you won't be able to lift it. But try saying the name of "Qamar Ali Darvesh" while a group of people with 11 members have their right index fingers on the stone and it will miraculously levitate. Some say it's nothing more than a trick to attract visitors. But believers of Qamar Ali Darvesh believe it's the spiritual prowess of the Sufi saint that is at work.

The story goes that a Muslim Sufi Saint named Qamar Ali Darvesh was born in the town of Poona, about 700 years ago. Unlike his strong and mighty brutal brothers, he was a gentle and reserved little boy. Although his brothers focused on being physically fit and strong, Qamar Ali devoted his time in enriching his spirituality. He put so much time on meditating, fasting and praying. Eventually, he became a well-known healer in the town and the surrounding areas.

Unfortunately, he died when he was just a teen. Before he died though, he instructed his family to lay out a 200-pound stone next to his tomb. With this, he said, "If eleven men place their right index fingers under the stone and then jointly call my name, it will cause it to rise higher than their heads. Otherwise, neither singly nor together will they be able to move it more than two feet off the ground." It's supposed to be a symbol that spiritual power is greater than any physical strength combined.

However, only men can try and lift the stone. Women aren't allowed to do so and are even restricted in staying near the shrine. This is because Qamar Ali died so young and he was a pure virgin at the time of his death. Many groups of people, some ranging below 11 members or more, have already tried lifting the stone without following the instructions of the Sufi saint. The result? Well, they weren't able to lift the stone. But follow the exact directions of the saint, and you would be able to lift the stone.

Whether it's a phenomenon yet to be uncovered, the Levitating Stone in Shivapur is quite a mystery worth visiting. Science isn't able to explain it so maybe it's a good time to just hold on to our faiths and spiritual sides as Qamar Ali has done so.

I hope this helps!