1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Places to see in Maharashtra

Discussion in 'Maharashtra' started by BipinMahi, Jul 8, 2016.

1. BipinMahi

BipinMahi New Member

I am taking my wife to Maharashtra, which is my hometown. I haven't lived much in Maharastra so I probably only know as much as she does about the state. We will visit some of our relatives in my hometown, and after that, we have around 2 and a half weeks where we can go seeing places.

As mentioned I don't know much about the state, so I need some input from the places to see in Maharashtra. It would be good to what places my wife, and I should visit and are worth visiting, so we can make the trip memorable and worth the time being spent there.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Maharashtra is also called the "Land of the Marathas." This is considered as the third largest state in India and it is also the second most populated state in India. It is situated between the Arabian Sea and the Western Ghats. According to statistics, this is also the richest state in India. There's lots of attractions here, from rivers, temples and natural sceneries. Here's some that are worth visiting:

Popular Places to Visit in Maharashtra

1. Mumbai. A visit to Maharashtra won't be complete without visiting its capital, Mumbai. If you like the hustle and bustle of city life, it's a must to visit Mumbai with all its colour and glory. Attractions here are:
    • Gateway of India. The gateway itself is a combination of Islamic, Hindu and European Gothic styles of architecture.
    • Elephanta Caves. From the Gateway of India, you'd have to take a ferry to get to the island where the Elephanta Caves are located. It contains stone sculptures of the gods in Hinduism although many are already destroyed.
    • Marine Drive or Queen's Necklace. This is about 3 kms long and borders the Arabian Sea.
    • Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus. This is a bus station which has stunning architecture, it's a must to visit especially if you're an architecture lover.
    • Nehru Planetarium. There's an art gallery, library, cultural centre and restaurant here. There are concerts, dances and other types of performances in the planetarium as well.
    2. Aurangabad. This is probably most famous for the Ajanta Caves and Ellora Caves. However, there's more attractions to see here:
    • Ajanta Caves.Declared as an UNESCO World Heritage Site, these caves showcase stunning paintings depicting the life of Buddha. Even more amazing is that the paintings are years and years old but the colours are still vibrant and beautiful.
    • Ellora Caves. The first 12 caves here are dedicated to Buddhism, the next 17 caves are dedicated to Hinduism and the last 5 caves are dedicated to Jainism.
    • Devgiri Fort. This was built by Billamraja and it's so strong that no one was able to destroy it or win over it.
    • Bani Begam Bagh. A beautiful garden with lush greenery and even a waterfall inside it. It's a great place for relaxing and having some serenity.
    3. Kolhapur. This is a budding tourist destination in the Maharashtra. You can find delicious food, lots of temples and the famous Kolhapur leather slippers in here. Attractions here are:
    • Mahalakshmi Temple. This is dedicated to the Deity Amba Devi and was built in the 7th Century.
    • Jyotiba Temple. The main deity for this temple is Lord Jyotiba and twice a year, every full moon, a fair is conducted outside the temple.
    • Chhatrapati Sahu Museum. You can find collections of artefacts, sculptures and even jewelries.
    • Panhala Fort. You can find various structures inside the fort like mausoleums.
    Offbeat Places to Visit in Maharashtra

1. Kaas. This is situated in the Sahyadri Range in the Western Ghats. There's not much you can here but the view of the plateau is quite amazing. Some attractions are:
    • Kaas Plateau. Best visited during August to October so you can visit the beautiful blooming flowers. There's about 850 species of flowers and plants in here.
    • Kaas Lake. This is an artificial lake which is about 1,160 metres above sea level. There are also some campsites very near the lake, great for enjoying the view around.
    • Vajrai Waterfall. The water here originates from the Urmodi River and this is considered as one of the highest waterfalls in India.
    2. Tarkarli. Although this is a known destination, not many tourists flock to this region unlike other tourist spots. Attractions here are:
    • Tarkarli Beach and Backwater. This is located between the Arabian Sea and the Karli River. This is a very clean and beautiful beach. You can even try going for a houseboat cruise here.
    • Sindhudurg Fort. This used to be the naval headquarters of the Marathas. There's also a temple inside dedicated to Shivaji.
    I hope this helps!