1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Things To Do In And Around Hoshiarpur

Discussion in 'Punjab' started by Chahal, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

I got a query regarding Hoshiarpur on another forum that I run which is tech related and a new member who is going to visit Hoshiarpur soon sent me a message asking what all there is to do in and around Hoshiarpur so I am going to post this query myself and then answer it as well.

I have sent a message to the member who asked this in case he/she wants to join here :)

2. Yasuo

Yasuo New Member

I'm here and awaiting your message :)

3. Chahal

To be honest I am not sure where to start. What is it that interests you so I have some direction...

4. Yasuo

Yasuo New Member

Anything... I feel there's a lack of things to do there so any ideas might be helpful.

5. ChaiNashta

ChaiNashta Active Member

I have spent some time doing marketing research at Hoshiarpur and I can assure you that there is nothing interesting or cool about Hoshiarpur. There are dams and stuff around that place and plenty of greenery. To party you would need to drive to Jalandhar or Chandigarh but please note that Jallandhar is fine when you are with a group of friends and sit in a pub drink away and watch some sport on their large screen but if you are on your own... you've had it.

Jallandhar is half an hours drive and Chandigarh is a little over two hours. You can go to the hills from Hoshiarpur which is a great idea especially during Summer. Mcleodganj is a great place to spend a few days and so is Dharamshala. There are other hill stations near by but these are the only two I have been so cannot comment on others.

People at Hoshiarpur are very friendly and welcoming in a rural kind of way. There are a few decent places to eat and there are some very old famous shops that sell local delicacies but you need to have a taste for that stuff which I didn't so I kept myself to subways and the likes while I was there and some times cooked myself.

I hope this helps.

Lisa likes this.
  6. Lisa

Lisa New Member

I am not sure how far Mcleodganj from Hoshiarpur is but the 4 days I spent there were well worth it. It is a beautiful place but make sure you take your alcohol with you :) shops there dont have the variety and the only Indian liquor I liked was blenders pride and they dint have it there so we had to send our taxi driver to Dharamshala to get some for us. Loved the time we spent there and loved Tibetan food. Blenders pride costs Rs750 per bottle in Delhi and it costs an extra Rs200 per bottle at Hoshiarpur if that matters to you atall.

7. Chahal

You would be better of finding things that you can do at your place. There is not much to do in the town or city if you want to call it that. There is no decent pub at Hoshiarpur that I can recommend. There are some places where you could go and play pool and they can bring you some beer if they believe you are not trouble but that's about it really... how much pool can you play :)

It is a lousy little town. Plenty of Gurdwaras around Hoshiarpur which would keep you busy for a month or so if you are into religion. Golden temple (Sample different dishes while you are at Amritsar) is less than two hours drive and so is Wagah border (thats a one time thing).

You could go to Shimla or Manali if you like the hills or even plan a trip to Leh Ladakh while you are in India. People travel half way across the world just for a trip to Leh. Have a look at the Leh Ladakh travel guide to see if that interests you. Leh would take away 10-15 days or even more depending upon how you plan it.

8. Chahal

I go to Adampur every few months for a good 15-20 days and one thing I do there is workout every day. Order some whey protein while you are in UK and bring it to India (it costs three times the price you would pay in UK) and join one of the gyms at Hoshiarpur and time would fly away :) There are lots of gyms at Hoshiarpur and finding a gym partner is never a problem given the friendly nature of locals.

9. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Hoshiarpur is a city in the state of Punjab. The city can be traced back to the Harappan Civilisation, proven by archeological explorations done in the region. Notable people from this city are: Mangu Ram Mugowalia and Kanshi Ram. Here's some tourist attractions in the city:

Sightseeing

• Kamahi Devi. This temple is believed to have been built by the Pandavas.
    • Takhni-Rehmapur Wildlife Sanctuary. This lies on the foot of the Shivalik Range in the district of Hoshiarpur. Some species of animals you can find here are: Jackals, Hares, Barking Deers and Sambars. The sanctuary is set in a deciduous forest amidst chir pines.
    • Gurdwara Guru Dian Tahalian. This was built in memory of Guru Hargobind Sahib since he used to spend some time in this area.
    • Gurdwara Garna Sahib. This was built in memory of Guru Hargobind Sahib since he used to take a rest in the Garna Tree around this area.
    • Citrus Country. This is a farmhouse located about 5.7 kms from the city centre. It is set on 75 acres of land with lots of Kinnow oranges in the vicinity. You can also see gorgeous flowers around the farmhouse.
    • Tomb of Hazrat Shah Noor Jamal. This is about 15 kms from the city centre. This has the grave of Shah Bur Jamal (a Muslim saint) and his parents' graves.
    Meditate
    • Vipassana Hoshiarpur Centre. One of the most famous Vipassana Centres in India. The minimum days required here is 10 days though. It's a great way to escape the hustle and bustle of city life and just submerge yourself into meditation.
    Explore
    • Hoshiarpur Archeological Museum. You can see sculptures from Dholbaha here. There's also some archaeological extractions from Sanghol and some Paleolithic tools extracted from Hoshiarpur itself.
    I hope this helps!