1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Things to do in Ziro

Discussion in 'North East India' started by Travel Freak, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Travel Freak

Travel Freak New Member

Ziro is a very old town in the state of Arunachal Pradesh. The most famous aspect of Ziro is the Apa Tani tribe which is a unique tribe, and the pine hills. If visiting Ziro the best time to visit is in January.
    Although this hill station is not heard of by many and does not have a large number of tourists, there are a number of hotels and resorts in Ziro where you can stay.

There are many things that can be done in Ziro and here is a small list:

Shiva Linga
    Shiva Linga was built in July 2004 and it has a height of 25 feet and width of 22 feet. People who visit Ziro make it a must to visit the Shiva Linga.

Dolo Mando
    For trekkers Dolo Mando is the ideal place as people can trek to the top of the hill to get a fascinating view of the town of Hapoli and the older part of Ziro.

Meghna Cave Temple
    Another place dedicated to Lord Shiva is the Meghna Cave Temple and it is in Daporijo and it is a place visited by many tourists and Shiva devotees.

Tarin Fish Farm
    Tarin Fish Farm is a place where breeding of high altitude fishes is done here. The fishes you see here are not found in plains and in many cases are unique to this habitat.

Pine Grove
    There is nothing to see at Pine Grove as it is more like a picnic spot, but an ideal place to see natural beauty and simply take in the fresh air. You could go for long walks and absorb the nature.

amelia88 likes this.

2. Gabydi

Gabydi Member

Just yesterday I was asking here in the forum if anyone knew of great places for trekking and hiking in India, and now I see your post.

It’s a great list you have in here, I already checked pictures and reviews and Ziro seems like another awesome place in India. I think that visiting places that are not inundated with tourists is a good option, because you get the chance to really absorb other cultures. After all, this is why we travel in the first place.

3. Debapriya Deb

Debapriya Deb Active Member

4. travelguide

travelguide Active Member

Ziro is a World Heritage Site and a natural beauty. To add, I will just point out some more tourist destinations at Ziro valley :

Talley Valley Wild Life Sanctury - This 337 sq km of land is home to various endangered species. It is called a bio-diversity zone.
    Kiley Pakho - This place is a feast to the eyes, especially for nature lovers. Climbing on the ridge will give you a magnificent view Ziro and snow clad Himalayan ranges.
    Midey - This place is famous for blue pine trees. Ideal for adventurous persons and a perfect place for hiking and trekking.

5. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

I would also recommend trying the local cuisine in Ziro. Rats are a delicacy in Ziro. Try to eat from hotels and accommodations. Momo which is dumpling filled with vegetables or pork and meat are delicious. Thukpa is a soup made of vegetables, meat and noodles. Gyapa Khazi is a kind of rice pulao with fermented cheese, shrimp, dried fish and spices. Good luck!

6. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I think I'll stick to the pork and vegetable filled dumplings if I go there, rather than eating rats! ;)

7. xeylonfm

xeylonfm New Member

Oftentimes cultural shock is a major issue when visiting new places and I have always experienced this firsthand. Looking at food for instance, in south china dogs are a delicacy which was not something I was prepared for. Rats are a delicacy in this region which is not also something very welcomed in my hometown. For my case eating and living with the natives is very special and as they eat on rats, I shall get down with them on that. I would love to visit here someday.

8. Benti

Benti New Member

Thanks for the tip, as a bit of hiking would actually be something that would very much interest me. While I love beaches, I enjoy a trip away from all the touristy stuff. That's my idea of a 'getaway'.

9. Mindy

Mindy Member

I'm an avid hiker, too, and I love the sound of an animal sanctuary. It's great to allow animals the freedom to enjoy their natural habitats.

10. Tamboa

Tamboa New Member

High altitude fish is something I have not heard of. I would love to find out more about this. Is it a single kind of fish or are there many different types bred there?