1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tigers Nest Bhutan

Discussion in 'Bhutan' started by Vinayak, Mar 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Vinayak

Vinayak New Member

I have just come back from a trip to Bhutan and all I can say is that the place is amazing. I am someone who is interested in history and nature which is why Bhutan is a country that I wanted to visit.

One of the places in Bhutan which I eagerly wanted to visit was Tigers Nest which is actually more commonly known as Taktsang Palphug Monastery and Paro Taktsang. Tigers Nest is a Buddhist sacred temple and one of the most important religious sites for the people of Bhutan and was built in the year 1692.

In order to reach Tigers Nest you need to trek through the paths on the cliff which are quite steep, but it is well worth it when you reach the monastery. Most monasteries are on ground level or slightly higher, but Tigers Nest is very high up around 3000 feet above Paro Valley and when you trek up to the monastery the view from every point will be different and mesmerising. It would take you between 2 and half hours to 3 hours to reach the monastery walking on a medium pace.
    The opening and closing timings of the monastery are:
    October to March - 8am to 1pm and 2pm to 5pm, 7 days of a week
    April to September - 8am to 1pm and 2pm to 6pm, 7 days a week

Taktsang-Tigers-Nest-Monastery.jpg

Unfortunately, you are not allowed to take photos or make videos inside the monastery.

At the entrance of the monastery you have to sign in where there will be a security person and also you will have to leave your bags and cameras at the entrance as they are not allowed inside, so it is a good idea not to take anything valuable.

Taking a guide with you to Tigers Nest would be a good idea, and they will also be able to arrange a permit to the monastery before the trek.
    There is a cafeteria on the way up where you can relax and get a bite to eat, and it is also a very good place to take pictures of the monastery as it provides the best view.

Here are some advice and tips to consider when trekking to Tigers Nest.

When starting the trek it is a good idea to purchase a wooden walking stick at the parking area, which will help you trek better.
    It is a good idea to start your trek so that you arrive well before the lunch hour or after lunch, which is between 1pm to 2pm, you don't want to rush the time at the monastery.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2016
    amelia88 likes this.

2. GinaMax

GinaMax Member

Wow, it is beautiful. Now I want to go there, too! I can not help wonder how they keep the monastery in such good condition in such a remote location. You said you have to take a long trek to it. Is there a road to it at all? I would hike, but how do they get all their supplies there?

3. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Oh my gosh, that picture is breathtaking, seriously!

I actually think that it's kind of nice that they don't allow you to take videos or photos of the monastery area. I think sometimes these days we all get a little "snap-happy" and sometimes we live our lives through our cameras rather than just taking things in with our eyes, you know? I'm really guilty of that sometimes, so it would be nice in a way to be told no cameras, and just be able to enjoy it in the moment!