1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tipping Drivers

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by paudu, Jan 28, 2016.

1. paudu

paudu Member

Rather than trying to plan around train schedules, I am leaning toward just hiring a driver for trips like the Golden Triangle tour.

Are there any Dos and Don'ts for tipping drivers?

2. Peter

Peter New Member

This is a good question. I know in some countries they don't allow you to tip. I'm sure in India the driver's would love to earn extra money. I think I would use the rule of thumb and tip around 7 to 10 percent. If he works longer and you were pleased with his work, I would add a little extra.

3. Ted

Ted New Member

I don't see why the driver would refuse a small tip at the end of his service. I think he will really appreciate it. I would also go with around 10%, like Peter said.

4. violet

violet New Member

I really don't think the driver will refuse a tip. I believe it is custom to tip a driver well if he has gone beyond just driving you from point A to point B by giving you suggestions on places to eat and visit. The better you tip the more helpful the driver will be.

5. Aurora

Aurora New Member

I think tipping the driver will definitely make him happy. I mean, who wouldn't like to have a little extra money for their effort and hard work?

6. Neve

Neve New Member

I completely agree with the above replies. I am sure that a tip would be very welcome. Most drivers in India don't really make that much so they will appreciate it.

7. tomservo

tomservo New Member

Thanks so much for bringing this up! Tipping is always such an awkward situation, especially in a foreign country. You have saved me much confusion.

8. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

Tipping is a great way to be thankful. However, if you are already paying exorbitant charges, why to tip the driver. In my experience, one the driver finds out you are a tourist, he will always ask for more.

9. swalia

swalia Guest

Travelling by cab can prove to be expensive. Drivers are already charging you enough and so I don't see any point in tipping them. However if a driver goes out of his way to help you in the new country then you can always tip him to express your gratitude.

10. sara.nm

sara.nm New Member

I'm sure the drivers will charge you enough so don't tip them unless you're feeling they really deserve it. sometimes you get lucky and a kind driver picks you up and helps you a lot during you're tour to his country, in that case it's ok to tip him to show that you're thankful.

11. Polaroid

Polaroid New Member

Tipping is customary in India to the extent that if you don't leave a tip it will not be appreciated most times.

A good tipping amount is supposed to be 10% but if the amount is very high you can give up to Rs 100 which is good enough. Tipping does make a difference in the way that you are treated for any service.

12. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Be very careful when tipping. A lot of tourists have no idea what things cost, and really start to skew prices, or make it easier for unscrupulous drivers to extort tourists. Always talk to your hotel about what taxis cost for certain trips, and negotiate for longer trips. Also, if you are thinking of tipping, try to tell them in advance, and make sure they understand it is based upon the quality of service you receive, and is not a given. Tips are for good service, and are not mandatory.

13. Off the cuff

Off the cuff New Member

I was puzzled about how tipping could get you better service if you don't give the cash until the end of the trip or tour, but what jnorth says makes perfect sense.

14. Maja

Maja Member

I always make it a point to give at the end of every cab ride, especially if the driver is really nice. But I've encountered some unscrupulous ones before and they tend to ask for exorbitant tips. I stick to what I am able to give. It really turns me off when they demand a tip. I still give tips, but not the amount that they ask for.

15. Debapriya Deb

Debapriya Deb Active Member

Here's a comprehensive guide on tipping in India. Hope it helps all those who are finding it difficult to understand the tipping practices in India.

Regards,
    Deb

16. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

Tipping is generally a "bonus" for their service, am I right? Drivers usually don't expect any tips because you DID hire them to drive you to places, and you ARE paying them their fees that are totally justified. Maybe for an extra pleasant drive, or a smooth sailing trip, or maybe just because the driver mentioned some advice to you as a tourist, then you can justify a tip. But conventionally, whenever I hired cabs or cars, I just pay the fee they have given, because to be honest, it's really high to begin with, and it's totally fair because you have an exclusive access in the car.

17. Elaine Lat

Elaine Lat Member

The idea of hiring transportation may cost you extra because not only are you paying for gas money, you are also paying for their time. Hiring would consume their time and you will have to make up for the payment any possible passengers they'll miss. If you have the extra money, that would be fine but it's not a good move if you're trying to get around as much as possible when you're trying to save money at the same time.

18. tabby

tabby Member

Tipping can be a tricky issue. Like what was said in the other comments, NOBODY would refuse a good tip. Any extra money given to someone will always be appreciated.
    As regards tipping, my own take is if you have extra cash and you can be generous about it, then do so. Sometimes, it's not about whether the person is giving you good/bad service. Sometimes, it's just about sharing a little blessing that you have to those people in the service industry. NOT a lot of people have the chance to travel to other places, much more to different countries. Having the chance to visit another country is such a blessing to me, and I'd like to show the gratitude and pass the blessing in the form of a good tip.

19. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

I think in any country I visit, even in my own country, tipping is generally expected. It's not like we're pressured to tip or anything like that, but it's safe to assume that those who give us service at least expects some tip from us. And even in India, drivers, waiters, porters and bellboys do still need tips.

I personally tip everyone that provides me service, whether he's a driver, a salon personnel or a tour guide. And if he did excel in his service, like a tour guide that made me learn a lot or a driver that helped me find the best local restaurants, I'd tip them more than necessary.

As others have already pointed, you can use these guides in tipping in India. If you rent a driver for multiple days, I'd say tipping him everyday between Rs 300 to Rs 600 would be good enough. If you rent a driver just for a day, then consider tipping him Rs 300 to Rs 500, depending on how helpful he has been.

I would also suggest for you to tip higher than normal if the person went out of his way to help you. This way, you have compensated him enough and he's more likely to extend that kind of service to other passengers.

I hope this helps!

20. Fredy Mejia

Fredy Mejia New Member

Sure, why not tip the driver. If I were a driver in India I would definitely appreciate a tip, considering that the average pay rate is $295 a month in India. Giving the driver an extra tip to maybe treat his/her family would be great!

21. Danny Luke

Danny Luke Member

First of all, we need to understand that the concept of tipping was imported from the West. This is due to the fact that millions of Western tourists flock to the country every year. When it comes to tipping taxi drivers, there are two things you should keep in mind. One, was the trip a short one? Two, did you hire the driver to tour you around the city? In the first instance, it's up to you to leave a tip or not since the service was very short-lived. However, if the driver dropped you off then picked you up several times as you went around the city, then it's recommended that you leave a tip. Giving 15 to 20% of the full fare would be more than reasonable.

22. Normad

Normad New Member

Is there really any driver who would ever refuse a tip? I mean why are they out there driving everyone around if not for the money? We went to India last year and we tipped every driver we had with no problems. In fact they were most appreciative of our generosity and they tried that much harder to please. If you are happy with the service they give you, I say give them the usual 10% tip.