1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tour of Char Dham Yatra

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Chahal, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Friends,
    Am planning to do Char Dham Yatra by personal self driven Maruti SX4. Pl. advice as to road conditions from Delhi onwards. Is it viable to go to Badrinath.

-------------------------------
    Admin note : I received this message from our new member HK Thaker. I have created the personal message as a new thread.

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

@HK Thaker

I drove to Badrinath and Kedarnath in 2011 end of June in a Toyota Innova and found the roads to be good enough. SX4's ground clearance is a lot better then other sedans that I have seen there so I don't think SX4 is going to be a problem atall.

Problem is not going to be the car you travel in but the time of the year you are planning to go. June is high season and both the temples are open for darshan with summer holidays coinciding which makes both the destinations a very crowded place. Landslides are uncommon in June so I personally consider is to be safer in June,come July the monsoon reaches the mountains and that is when things get a little disrupted. If you are planning to be there after the monsoon rains start then have some room for delays due to land slides as it is not uncommon to have landslides in that region. Government has apparently done a very good job of rebuilding bridges and other infrastructure after the devastating floods but unfortunately landslides still occur and cause traffic jams that can last a few hours or more depending upon how large the event is.

3. HK Thaker

HK Thaker New Member

Dear Chahal,
    Thanks for ur reply & advice. Could not go in June 2015 due to personal reasons. Now planning for 1st week of May 2016. Can easily reach to Haridwar. Want advice regarding road conditions, accommodation and fuel availability in this places. still plan to go by SX4. We r 4 adults.

4. ChaiNashta

ChaiNashta Active Member

5. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I am curious. What are the gas prices for such a journey?

6. Debapriya Deb

Debapriya Deb Active Member

I think Mr. Thaker is interested in Uttarakhand Char Dham Yatra (also known as 'Chota' Char Dham) and not the original bigger circuit. Here is a detailed travel guide on the Char Dham Yatra tour to the Garhwal Himalayan region - Uttarakhand Chota Char Dham Yatra Tour : Yamunotri - Gangotri - Kedarnath - Badrinath.

Regards,
    Deb

7. rajesh

rajesh Member

Well, I don't think it is a great idea to travel all the four dhams with your Maruti SX4. You need a lot of gas or petrol to visit the four places. The four of them i.e Badrinath, Puri, Rameshwaram, Dwarka all very apart from each other and you can choose other transport mediums but I would not recommend you to travel these places with your personal car. Well, it's your choice. ;)