1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tourist safety in Mumbai

Discussion in 'Maharashtra' started by whitelad, Nov 28, 2014.

1. whitelad

whitelad New Member

Just a quick question.

I am visiting India in January and would like to know is it safe for a tourist to walk free and alone on Mumbai streets. Any suggestions about what to wear and what not to wear and what to do, what not to do or any personal experiences would be great.

Thanks

2. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Mumbai is a fairly safe city and walking alone on Mumbai streets is not a problem atall. Just use common sense thats all. There are no problems with what you wear but dont forget to wear something as going naked is not advisable :) It would be funny though.

Mumbai people are very used to seeing tourists from different countries so you wont have any trouble.

3. ChaiNashta

ChaiNashta Active Member

Mumbai is safe in general. Just use your common sense thats all. For men people dont really raise any eyebrow whatever you wear as long as you dont plan to bare it all :)

4. Aadi

Aadi Member

Mumbai is safe and there is no problem for foreign tourist till the time he goes to any red light area, even if you go to red light area pimps are there to help you ;-)
    I am not sure from where this question of tourist security comes, can somebody tell me the last time you heard of a tourist robbed in India or any tourist troubled in India?

5. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I would always recommend a pair of light pants and long sleeve shirt. That, and proper footwear. If you can have pants with deep pockets, that is good. Have some cash separate from your wallet. Make sure your hotel or someone has your itinerary. Have water throughout the day.

6. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Member

Like any big city, theres a few things you should look out for in Mumbai, pickpockets for example, but there are less of them than in any US city. Theres very little street crime and as long as you're respectful to the natives, you are very unlikely to encounter any problems. Be careful of traffic because it can seem chaotic and dangerous initially, but you will get used to it quickly. I always take water out with me, as its cheaper than buying it and if you are not used to the heat you will need to stay hydrated.

7. Ajay Malhotra

Ajay Malhotra New Member

Yes, Mumbai is safe but An important part of being safe in any city is how well you understand the city. some specific advice is should know how the train, bus system works. understand the road systems, emergency phone numbers ETC.

8. integrity101

integrity101 Member

Mumbai is comparatively safer than a few cities I know but it's wise to use your best judgment while walking the streets of the city. Avoid attracting unnecessary attraction by not dressing provocatively. Try to blend with the crowds and you'll be safe.

9. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Well I did not go to Mumbai but I was in some other heavily populated areas and I felt pretty safe overall. There are some sketchy places, of course, but you are going to get those everywhere that you go. The best thing to do is to always do your research, just like anything, and prepare as much as you can and talk to the locals to see where the popular, and safest, areas are.

10. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

Something my aunt taught me when traveling: you don't need to learn self defense, you don't need to be extra cautious, just don't be stupid. So, don't go to dark alleys, don't go following people you don't know, and don't flaunt your belongings in the streets. Even in a pretty safe place like Mumbai, there are still dangers lurking in the shadows. Pickpockets, muggers, thieves, anything can happen. So just watch out for yourself, keep in touch with people back home, respect the locals, and I'm sure you'll be fine.

11. Norjak71

Norjak71 New Member

I'll give you the same advice as I give most people in regards to safety in unknown areas. Stick with crowds of people, don't attract negative attention and make sure that you adhere to their rules and culture. It's the same if they visited your country. Each place has their own rules so make sure that you are in the know about that before you go and don't travel alone. It should be a generally safe place to visit and learn their culture but make sure you respect them and they will respect you.

12. Elaine Lat

Elaine Lat Member

I've only see Mumbai in photos and I can understand why you are concerned. Mumbai is a beautiful city and it has lots of temples and attractions that would entice a good number of people to visit. Of course, that would also include suspicious characters. It's always risky wherever we go. To be sure of your safety, never flip out your wallet in public. Always have a few bills ready in your pocket so you won't invite any trouble of being stolen from in a public place.

13. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Being safe and secure in any city, including Mumbai, is mostly down to common sense in my opinion. While it's true that tourists are the biggest targets, then with that in mind, trying to blend in more with the locals and not stand out too much could also make sense.

14. GammaRay

GammaRay Member

As a general rule I always dress conservatively in a new place. Don't walk home in the middle of the night as well, this is good advice too even for guys; robberies can happen any time. Always have a plan B and let your embassy know where you're going. Memorize the number of your hotel as well.

15. Sharath S

Sharath S Member

Mumbai is safe at the most. One thing to remember is that perverts are everywhere and this is no Exclusion. When you visit Mumbai you have to be precautious about your belongings when you are among crowded people and never go to any lonely place. Always try to be in groups and never follow anybody if you don't know them. Use Uber and never get into a taxi which seems suspicious. Good Luck. Safe Journey.

16. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Mumbai is generally a safe city to travel in. It has its own share of crimes and negative issues but then again, all cities have that. It's important to exercise your street smarts especially when you're in another country. Here's a list of some tips that I can give your regarding the city of Mumbai:

Public Transportation
    • When it comes to trains: It can get very crowded during rush hour. Make sure you schedule your trip accordingly. Avoid travelling from the North Rail to the South Rail during the morning rush hours. Avoid travelling from the South Rail to the North Rail in the evening rush hours. As much as possible, go the other way for the rush hour peaks for each direction. Also, be aware of where your platform destination is and try to go to the area as early as two stations before your arrival station. For women, always ride the Women Compartment of the train especially during rush hour.
    • When it comes to taxis, you'll encounter four types of taxis in Mumbai. These are: the black and yellow taxis, radio cabs and private taxis. Black and yellow taxis have a fixed rate/tariff card and they're available everywhere. Radio cabs have to be called for and they also have a tariff card. Private taxis are paid by kilometre and they're the ones used for inter-city travels. There's also the auto rickshaws which are the cheapest options and they also have a tariff card.
    • When it comes to buses, every city has their own bus station/s. You'd have to research first before going to that particular region so you'd know exactly where the bus stations are located. They usually have intra-city and inter-city in these stations as well. You can avail of the Day Pass which allows you to use as many public buses as you might need in a day.
    Clothing
    • You can wear less conservative clothing here i.e. sleeveless tops or knee bearing bottoms. But not anything more than that. If you're going to be visiting more rural areas, dress conservatively. This means shoulder-covered clothes or skirts pass your knees.
    • With shoes, just wear a comfortable one. Sandals are great for walking and sightseeing. You can bring another pair for special occasions though.
    • On trying to blend in: You can wear traditional Indian clothes as well. You can buy from shops in India. It makes for a nice souvenir as well. Scarves are great too, they can work well with any outfit and lets you fit in.
    Staying Safe
    • It's advisable not to wander the streets during late night especially after 10:00 pm. If you must, bring a companion with you or travel with a group of friends.
    • Do not ride a bus when it's only you and a few other people. It's safer to be on a mildly crowded bus than a near empty bus.
    • On beggars: You can find them in Mumbai as well. It's best to ignore them as giving only one of them money can result in other beggars asking for money as well. If you must, just donate to charitable institutions.
    • Be aware of your surroundings. It's rare for pickpockets to attack but if they do, tourists are mostly the targets. Make sure you keep your valuables hidden especially in public places.
    • Only drink from sealed water bottles. For food, don't try out street foods until you're quite acquainted with many Indian foods. Your stomach might get a bit shocked with it.
    I hope this helps!