1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Traveling from Delhi to Ooty

Discussion in 'West India' started by Aswin, May 5, 2015.

1. Aswin

Aswin New Member

I will be arriving in Delhi by road from Punjab, and from there on I would like to go to Ooty. I need to know what would be the best way of traveling to Ooty from Delhi. By road I know it will not be feasible as the distance is a lot and the journey will be very tiring. The only other options are by plane and train, which would be better?

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Depends how much money you want to spend on traveling. If you go by air you would need to fly to Coimbatore and return flight tickets would cost you in the range of Rs10000 to Rs11000 or more depending upon your duration of stay and also the dates you choose.

I dont want to discourage you from going to Ooty but why would you want to go to a hill station down south when you have the Himalayas right here in the North? There are plenty of hill stations where you can go by your own car and your expenses would be a lot less due to proximity to the destination you choose.

3. Deven

Deven Member

If you are a low on budget then go by train, the train station you will need to reach is Mettupalyam which is around 40km from Ooty. If you can spend the money and want a quick journey then take a flight but like Chahal mentioned it would cost you much more than a train journey.

4. Aswin

Aswin New Member

First of all thanks for your replies.

Any idea for the pricing for train tickets?

@ Chahal - The reason why I want to go down South is because I have pretty much seen all the hill stations in North India and wanted to see another part of India this time.

5. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Please check on official irctc website for prices and availability.

6. Anurag

Anurag Member

Going by train would be more convenient and less tiring. I made a Delhi to Ooty train journey around two years ago and it is the best way to travel.

7. Dhruv

Dhruv Member

Just a slight correction Deven! The difference is not much is traveling by train or plane.

If you get a flight it would work out to be around Rs10000. You would need to get a flight from Delhi to Coimbatore then a bus to Ooty.

If you get a train the cost would be around Rs9000. As there is no direct train to Ooty you would still need to get a flight to Coimbatore then a train to Tiruppur and then finally a bus to Ooty.

8. SachinS

SachinS New Member

Flights don't cost as much these days, so it is worth checking the cost of flights and comparing them with train tickets.