1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Travelling Alone Or With A Group?

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by AlapanB, Feb 3, 2016.

1. AlapanB

AlapanB Member

Which one do you prefer? Travelling solo? Or with a friend? Or even in a group along with known and unknown people? What are the (dis)advantages of each one according to you? Share your thoughts!

2. swalia

swalia Guest

I prefer travelling with a friend or in a group. The first time I traveled to Bangalore in 2009 was with a group of unknown people. Though they were from my city but we didn't know each other. By the time our trip ended , we had become good friends and we all are still in touch. It's always better to travel with company because you have somebody to lean on in case you fall sick or there's some kind of emergency.

3. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I like both for different reasons. When you travel in a group you always have a friend to reminisce about the experiences you've had together. If you're just traveling on your own it can sometimes be a little bit lonely however it can also be very liberating and confidence boosting. Plus there is the added benefit of being able to do what you like when you like and not having to worry about considering what another person wants to do and compromising.

4. Elaine

Elaine Member

For me, it really depends on how I am feeling at that period of time. If I feel like having some quality alone time, I prefer to travel alone sometimes.

5. Ritika Sharma

Ritika Sharma Member

For me it depends. I like both Travelling alone or with friends.

6. sara.nm

sara.nm New Member

It's definitely better to travel in groups, and safer and could be more pleasant too. I wouldn't go alone in a foreign country, although that has it's advantages as well, like the freedom.

7. Dina

Dina New Member

I like to travel alone but quite often my friends travel with me. They know that I travel to interesting places and beg me to take them along. I have traveled solo to parts of South America and found that you can make friends easily if you are alone.

8. Arianne

Arianne Member

As a woman, I don't feel safe traveling on my own. I feel better with a group of people on a tour where I can feel safe knowing that they will help if something is wrong.

AlapanB likes this.
  9. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Both are very interesting. Ultimately, I love to travel with others, especially if I am sharing some neat spot with them. But it has its disadvantages. For instance, you are only as fast as the slowest person, and that can be pretty slow, at times. A lot of people are not great travelers. Perhaps, it is their first time abroad, or they are disorganized, or they just don't care about going to a temple, or ruins, or landmark. That can mean things take a lot longer to get done and your time is limited. Traveling alone means you do as much as you want, and when you are motivated, that means a lot of extra sightseeing or experiences.

10. xTinx

xTinx Member

I am fond of travelling alone but if I'm going to a place with security issues, I'd rather travel with two or more people. Security's a big deal when you're travelling to areas known for having a controversial past.

11. GammaRay

GammaRay Member

It's always great fun to travel with a friend. When you look back twenty years from now on your holidays then atleast you have someone to share your experiences with. Travelling with a group can be tiresome but it also has it's perks when it comes to certain destinations and it's definitely more stress-free if you're itinerary is planned. Travelling alone is great when you have a place in mind already and a hotel booked somewhere.

12. Maja

Maja Member

Well, it largely depends on my mood and what destination. It's more fun when travelling with companions of course, but sometimes I just want to be alone on my travels. It's less hassle because I all I have to worry about is myself.

13. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

For safety issues, being with at least someone is a huge advantage. The world is a dangerous place, and you need someone watching your back. Being in a group is even better, as no would be thief or mugger would approach a group and steal from them. There's safety in numbers, and with traveling through places where everyone's a stranger, you'd be glad to have a common face to be there watching your back.

14. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Travelling solo?
    • Travelling solo is one of my dreams. You see, I got married at an early age so I wasn't able to make the most of my single life. So to travel to distant places by myself is something that I've been dreaming about for a while now. However, travelling with my family is also fun because I get to enjoy moments with them. There's that certain happiness you cannot have alone, that you can only experience when you're with your child and husband.
    Or with a friend?
    • To be honest, I haven't traveled much with friends. It can be fun, I've traveled maybe once or twice with my close friends, and we were able to bond more. But the problem lies in dividing the expenses, chances are, one of you might spend more than the other. It's fine if it's just the two of you. But if you're in a group, you're bound to spend more than another, if that person isn't willing to share.
    Or even in a group along with known and unknown people?
    • I'm not even good with making new friends so I doubt I can meet strangers by myself. Lol. But why not? I think that's one of the funs of traveling, you get to meet new people, from the hotel staff, to the people you tour with. I guess if you're by yourself it might be easier to make friends.
    What are the (dis)advantages of each one according to you?
    • The advantage of traveling solo is you have all the time to yourself. You can explore whatever place you want, go shopping and eat wherever you want. The downside? It can be expensive since you have to shoulder all finances. And it can be a bit unsafe if you wander during the night as well or in unknown territories.
    • Traveling with friends, the advantage is you can split the expenses. You won't be afraid since you have people with you. The downside is that you cannot personalise the travel to your likes.
    • And traveling with strangers is a whole new experience, you get to meet new people with new cultures. The downside is that you don't know if they can be truly trusted or not.