1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wagah Border Ceremony Timings and VIP Tickets

Discussion in 'Punjab' started by Brij, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Brij

Brij New Member

I and going to be staying in Amritsar for one week and have thought of going to Wagah Border and seeing the flag lowering closing ceremony which is supposed to be something not to be missed.
    I need to know the timings of the ceremony and also what VIP passes are and how to get them? It would be great if there is an option to book Wagah border ceremony tickets online.

wagah border ceremony.jpg

Thanks in Advance

2. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

Wagah border closing ceremony takes place at around 5PM... but not 100% sure about the timings I visited Wagah border a few years ago. Better to reach a bit early, I think the timings are different for summers and winters. it would be better to reach at 3 PM.

I don't have much idea about VIP passes, but I think it is for the BSF relatives and not for sale unless some one is being greedy and selling them for money.

3. Yogi

Yogi New Member

I did not know that there are VIP passes for Wagah border. What is so special with these VIP passes, I mean what privileges do you get with a Wagah border vip pass?

4. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

VIP passes refer to the seat near the gates, which are usually less crowded and you get the best view from there, but I still have no clue whether the tickets are only for BSF relatives or general public as well.

5. ChaiNashta

ChaiNashta Active Member

When I went there I did not buy any tickets. I did not know that there were any tickets atall. I thought it was free for everyone.

Timings are different for summers and winters. I cannot remember for sure but it is between 5 and 6 from what I remember. It is always better to get there an hour or so earlier. There are some dhabas there which serve ok type food.

6. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

Entry is free for all but for the VIP seats, you need VIP passes.

7. ChaiNashta

ChaiNashta Active Member

Border per bhi VIP culture?

8. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

ha haa,
    VIP culture to har jagah hai...

9. ChaiNashta

ChaiNashta Active Member

There should be vip culture when there is a war at the border so every VIP gets the privilege of taking the bullets that come our way. That would be the first time people wont complaint about VIP culture :)

Tanmaya, Chahal and BadBoy like this.
  10. Prits

Prits Member

It is good if you get the front row seating, but generally speaking the seating is arranged in such a way that the view from anywhere is as good.

11. amitsharma1424

amitsharma1424 New Member

VIP seats are the special privilege given to the family and relatives of the defence personnels.. They work hard for our safety and i think they deserve this much privilege. But honestly, common sittings are more enjoyable and the parade there really gives a goose bumbs and brings out patriotism in u...It is the most awesome thing i enjoyed at amritsar

Admin likes this.
  12. Prits

Prits Member

Apart from seating are there any other privileges, if so I may need to get in contact with my relatives! I had no idea booking was possible at Attari border for special seats.

13. amitsharma1424

amitsharma1424 New Member

Only You gets seat in the less populated area through separate checking line..No other privilage

14. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

I have been to the wagah border closing ceremony a few times with relatives and friends but did not feel the need to get vip passes for wagah border ever because the seats at the back are higher up and give a lot better view of the whole thing including a better look at what is going on on the other side of the border.

15. Akshay

Akshay Member

Independence day is coming up, is there anything special which is done at the border on the 15th or is it the same routine which they do every day? Do we need wagah border ceremony tickets for attending that ceremony on occasions such as the 15th of August or the 26th of January?

16. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Along with the same lowering of the flag routine and march there is also some performances by school kids which are held on the 14th August and the border location is decorated and of course the whole atmosphere of the place will be tremendous Just a word of advise though, that on the 14th and 15th August Wagah border will be very crowded and on top of that its a weekend, so if it is something you can handle go for it, otherwise hold back the trip until another time.

Chahal likes this.
  17. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

For those looking for wagah border ceremony timings :-

In winters wagah border ceremony takes place just after 16:15

In summers it is 17:15

Wagah border ceremony timings depend on sunset time so get there well before sun set.

To make sure you get a good seat you should get there well before the time I have mentioned. People start gathering well before 16:00. There are a few dhabas where you can spend some time and have something to eat. Quality of food is not much to talk about but you can buy crisps and some other packed food.

Best time of the year to see wagah border ceremony is in Winters, I would say from end of August to middle of March. If you dont mind the heat then go in Summers and you wont see too many people and you could get a good seat without having to go there much earlier.

18. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The timing for the Wagah Border Ceremony depends on the season and when the sun sets. In the winters, it's usually earlier at 4:30 pm and during the summer, it's usually at 5:30 pm. But it still depends on what time the sun sets during that day. Just to be sure, be there at least an hour before 4:30 pm. The best time would be at 3:00 to 3:30 pm, this way you can choose great seats in case you haven't reserved any. Leave all your bags at your hotel as they're not allowed in the area. Cameras and cellphones are okay but leave your camera bag at the hotel.

There are two types of reserved seats as well. Here they are:
    • VIP Seating. This is the one you're asking about. These are the closest seats to the gates. You can reserve this a couple of days before the ceremony via the BSF Station in the Amritsar Bypass Road. The only way to get this pass is if you know someone in the army, customs, BSF or anyone connected to the government at a high position. Or if you're that someone from the BSF or the army, I guess.
    • Foreign Tourists Section. This one's for foreigners only and would need a passport identification to be able to access the area.
    Other seatings are:
    • Ladies Exclusive. For women and children but it's about 80 metres from the gates.
    • General Section. For everyone else, although it can be crowded especially during holidays.
    I hope this helps!

NishaKid and Admin like this.