1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wagah Border Ceremony

Discussion in 'Punjab' started by Ambika Jain, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Ambika Jain

Ambika Jain New Member

I have watched the Wagah border ceremony on TV many times and would like to go and see it myself. I understand that there are no tickets required for Wagah border closing ceremony but I have a few questions that I need answered before I plan a trip to Wagah border to see the ceremony.

How to get to Wagah border from Amritsar using public transport?

How long does it take from Amritsar to Wagah border?

What time should I get to Wagah border so I dont have to struggle to get a good seat for closing ceremony?

Is there a place to store luggage at Wagah border?

Are there any hotels near Wagah border?

Is public transport readily available after the wagah border ceremony finishes?

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

There are shared jeeps/taxis available from Golden temple and also from the railway station. I am pretty sure there must be shared taxis available from the bus stand as well.

Between half an hour to forty-five minutes.

Please go through this thread to find out wagah border timings.

No, there is no place there to store luggage. Some people leave their stuff at the shops there but I dont know how safe that is.

There are no hotels near Wagah border. There are plenty at Amritsar.

Yes but you should make return arrangements with the same taxi that took you there in the first place.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Here are your public transportation options:
    • Bus. You can board a bus in the Amritsar Bus Station located in Mehar Pura, Amritsar, Punjab 143001. There are direct buses there that go to Wagah Border. Go here early as waiting time for the bus to fill up is about 30 minutes or more. Then, travel time can be another 45 minutes more.
    • Shared Autos. You can find this in the bus station as well. Waiting time varies but the shared auto won't leave until it is full. Travel time can be an hour or less.
    • Taxis. The most expensive option but more comfortable and faster. You can ride taxis from different areas in Amritsar.
    The distance between Wagah Border and Amritsar is about 31.6 kms. Depending on what mode of transportation you take, that can take anywhere between 45 minutes to 1 hour.

It also depends on what day you're going to the Wagah Border. Generally, weekends and holidays see the most tourists. On average, you would need to reach the border an hour or more before the ceremony. The ceremony starts at 4:30 pm during winters and at 5:30 pm during the summers. If you can reach the border at about 3:00 to 3:30, you can get a good seat.

Alternatively, some seats can be reserved for. These are:
    • The VIP Seating. Requires reserving a couple of days before the ceremony to get the special pass. It is the closest seating to the gates.
    • Foreign Tourists Section. Requires tourists to show their passports to be able to access a seat.
    Otherwise, you're left with the Ladies Exclusive Section, about 80 metres from the gate or the General Seating which can be crowded and congested some days.

Unfortunately, there's no such facility nearby. You can leave your luggage in the hotel you're staying in though, just bring your valuables with you or keep it in the safe.

The only hotel near the Wagah Border is the PTDC Motel Wagah and it is in the Pakistan side. Your best options are hotels in Amritsar. Here's some:
    • Hotel Punnu International. About 27 kms from the Wagah Border, a budget hotel that offers a luxurious accommodation. Rooms are elegant and quite comfortable. They also have AC in all their rooms. Rates start at Rs. 2,125 per night.
    • Hotel Sanjog International. About 27 kms from the Wagah Border, they provide great service for an affordable price. Rooms are simple but has good amenities. Room rates start at Rs. 1,615 per night.
    • Hotel PR Residency. Also about 27 kms from the Wagah Border, they have spacious and clean rooms. Rates start at Rs. 1,700 per night.
    There's a taxi stand just nearby the border on the Indian side. However, it's more convenient to just ask for your hired taxi to wait for you until the ceremony ends.

I hope this helps!

4. Kitesh

Kitesh New Member

I will also be visiting Wagah Border sometime next month. Along with me will be my wife and two small kids. I have pretty much got all the information about Wagah border from this and other threads.

One main question I have is, are there any places to eat near the Wagah border and also are there public toilets, as I will have small kids with me and when kids need to go they need to go?

5. Dybbuk Jones

Dybbuk Jones New Member

The Crown Plaza Lahore is a ways off but it is pretty nice. I liked the beds and the colors of the sheets. It's a little loud, but I was going expecting that. If I want to stay in a quiet hotel, I will stay in New Hampshire.

6. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Kitesh!

Outside the gate, before you reach the Wagah Border, there are about two to three local food stalls. They sell packaged meals, snacks and beverages. You can buy some food here before entering the Wagah Border or after the ceremony as well. Just opposite these food stalls, there's the Aman Umeed Tourist Complex. There are some food and snacks available here as well. There's also a nice and clean bathroom within the tourist complex.

If you're looking for a restaurant or eatery near the border, there is only one:

Sarhad - This is the last restaurant nearest to the Wagah Border. It's about one kilometre away from the border. This restaurant has Indian, Pakistani, Chinese, Asian and Middle Eastern cuisines. The first thing that you'd notice as you approach the restaurant is the design and architecture. The walls are made of red bricks and even the flooring resembles that of old style buildings in Pakistan. Then, outside the restaurant you'd see the truck painted by Haider Ali, Pakistan's most celebrated truck artist. Food here is comprised of both Pakistani and Indian dishes. The restaurant is mostly well-known for their kebabs and tandooris. The bathroom in the restaurant is also very clean and well-maintained.
    • Address - Wagah Border, National Highway 1, Amritsar, Punjab 143108.
    • Contact Number - +91 183 238 2000.
    • Must Try Dishes - Amritsar fish tikka, vegetable kathi roll and gilouti kebab.
    I hope this helps!