1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wearing Sandals

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by barbara, Feb 22, 2016.

1. barbara

barbara New Member

I know that women are supposed to cover the shoulders and legs in certain parts of India. Are wearing sandals with open toes okay? I have a pair of walking sandals I wear during the summer because my feet get incredibly warm in the heat of day and sometimes swell. Running or walking shoes are too confining and my feet will sweat.

2. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I don't think it would too much of a problem, but I would not recommend it. I think having good footwear which would provide protection of your feet would be better, as a lot of areas do not have paved streets, are not the cleanest, and there can be debris. Even temples and landmarks have broken stone, which can cause real injuries if you stub your toes or trip up on them. I have seen tourists have to get medical attention because they did not have appropriate footwear, and that potential can be a real downer on a fun trip. I can empathize with wanting the openness and comfort of sandals, but you might want to look into some airy walking shoes of something that can breathe but still provide protection.

3. Jiggy

Jiggy New Member

Gee, I hadn't even thought about this. When the weather is warm, it's a no-brainer for me to wear sandals or fancy flip flops. I'd better start shopping now for something fashionable yet safe and comfortable.

4. Elizabetonth

Elizabetonth Member

@jnorth88 makes a good point. Nevertheless, if your 'walking sandals' are fairly sturdy, @barbara, I think you'll be fine. I spent a couple of months in India in a pair of sturdy, properly constructed type sandals once, and it was fine. No one batted an eyelid. I only exchanged them on that trip once I got to Pakistan, where I exchanged them for a pair of the locally made leather flipflops, and those were also fine. Obviously, it depends what you're doing - @jnorth88 is right that there can be dangers. If you're going into the mountains, for instance, then I'd recommend taking proper shoes. For general city visiting, or going to the desert, etc. I'd say you're fine with sandals, particularly since it sounds like you're used to them. Just take care where you're stepping!

5. xTinx

xTinx Member

Carry different types of light-weight outdoor footwear with you when travelling to different parts of India. It's okay for women to wear open-toe sandals but if you intend to hike for hours, doing so may not exactly be a good idea unless it's an outdoor type of sandals.

6. GammaRay

GammaRay Member

Wearing sandals or open-toed shoes is okay as long as you dress conservatively as well. Women in India usually have long sarongs that cover their feet anyway so it wouldn't be a problem. Men also wear sandals, I think in most Asian countries it really is the norm to wear sandals because of the tropical/hot climate.

7. violet

violet New Member

If the roads are dirty would your feet not get filthy? I can't stand having dirty feet it really bothers me. I'm also one of those people who is constantly stubbing my toes.