1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wearing Leather Shoes in India

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chit Chat' started by Mick, May 18, 2016.

1. Mick

Mick New Member

I will be in India next week and will be attending some important family functions. Out of some of the days, I would have in India, I would like to go out exploring the place and have a look around. Now the main question I have do you advise wearing leather shoes in India. I have only heard that the roads and places in India are dusty and it's not a good idea to wear your best clothes or shoes. I love my leather boots and find them comfortable to wear so I am quite stuck now on what to do, please advise whether I should be wearing leather shoes in India or not?

2. Deven

Deven Member

I would not suggest you wear your leather shoes in India especially if you are thinking of going sightseeing and exploring the place and most of all if they are very costly because they would get ruined. The majority of the roads in India have lots of dust, stones lying around, and even animal excrement.

You can bring along your leather shoes if you are going out for dinner or so, but not for the things you have mentioned. For such things like sightseeing and exploring places, I would suggest trainers or sports sandals.

3. GammaRay

GammaRay Member

Well if you're just going to highly urbanized areas with cemented streets then you can wear your leather shoes without any problems but if you're there to sightsee or travel on vacation I suggest you wear something more comfortable like rubber shoes or sneakers. The summer heat is gonna do harm on your leather shoes and you don't want them to be dirty as well.

4. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I think it depends what kind of shoes we're talking about here - if you're talking about fancy leather dress shoes, then I would probably say no. If we're talking sturdier leather boots, like Doc Martens, then I would think something like that would be perfect. Nice and durable.

Ultimately though, it's whatever you're comfortable with. Quite honestly I would probably just wear my Birkenstocks around the entire time as they're comfortable and durable.