1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Foods Would You Recommend I Try When I Visit India

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Teheura, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Teheura

Teheura New Member

I have read a lot of foods in India and even tried to cook a few recipes here at home. I am wondering if anyone has ever visited there or is from there that could recommend a few good dishes for me to try. I love hot and spicy foods so this shouldn't be a problem. I was in China and the food there is very spicy. I loved the food in China so I have a feeling I will love the food in India.

2. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

My favorites are curries, of course - vindaloo is good, and I love aloo gobi which is a potato and cauliflower dry type curry. For drinks I would say you can't go past mango lassi - so refreshing and pairs well with curries!

3. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

Some of the popular Indian food are paratha, samosa, pakoda, kachaudi, pau bhaji, Idlili, Dosa etc. You can try one of these foods. If you love sweet food, you might also love Rasbhari, Peda, Barfi, Gulab Jamun, Laddu, kalakand etc. If you are looking for a full non vegetarian meal, try biryani or roti and chicken butter masala.

4. Teheura

Teheura New Member

This sounds delicious. I do love mango drinks. When I was in Hawaii I almost lived off mango drinks and fresh mangos. I look forward to trying some of these dishes.

5. Sammie

Sammie Member

These do sound good and are making me hungry for Indian food. I had a coworker who was Indian and they had a bunch of us over for dinner one night. The food was excellent and I couldn't remember all the Indian names if you asked me. There were curry dishes, peanut dishes and more that I couldn't identify but enjoyed nonetheless.

amelia88 likes this.
  6. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I can honestly say that Indian cuisine is one of the cuisines where I have never had a meal I didn't like!

I think I would be pretty comfortable ordering anything off a menu -- and I think that it would be good! Everything is so flavorsome and delicious!

7. AlapanB

AlapanB Member

I would definitely suggest Biryani with Raita. Biryani is rice cooked with various seasonings, served along with a large piece of roasted meat (it can be chicken, goat or lamb), a hard-boiled egg, and a large steamed potato. Raita is a condiment prepared of curd and veggies like onions, cucumbers etc. I know of nobody that had eaten a plate of Biryani and didn't like it.

And if you are visiting India, you must try the street food. The Pani-Puri, or little fluffy crispy bread filled with mashed potatoes prepared with a whole lot of seasonings, and a delicious sweet and sour tamarind chutney are a must-try. You can also try the Vada-Pav, the Indian version of the Burger. Oh, and for breakfast, order some Kachoris with aloo, you can't just not have it.

India is also hugely famous worldwide for its plethora of sweets. Dry sweets like Barfi, Sandesh, Pera, Laddu or syrupy ones like Gulab Jamon and Rasgulla are truly delicious. No wonder we can't control diabetes;)!

Chahal likes this.
  8. swalia

swalia Guest

You must try the local cuisine of whichever state you are visiting in India. Each state has their own unique dishes. If in Rajasthan, don't forget to try dal bati churma. Punjab is famous for its chole kulche, makki ki roti with sarson da saag and lassi. Butter chicken and kadahi chicken are another famous delicacies from Punjab for non-vegetarians. Kashmir is famous for its roganjosh and yakhani. South India is famous for masala dosa, uttapam, idli, vada sambhar and rasam. Maharashtra is famous for its poha, puranpoli and vada paav.

9. sara.nm

sara.nm New Member

don't miss the vada pav, it's interesting to see how they make burgers in india. ah and don't forget about pani pori

10. Salman

Salman New Member

Two things that you must try are the tikkas and biryanis. There are a variety of them so you can try the local version of the two dishes. Try and make sure that you are eating from a restaurant just to be safe since street for for such items may not suit you if you are a visitor who is not used to the local spices.

11. Sharath S

Sharath S Member

I really recommend that you have Roti and Mango Chutney and or Onion Chutney. This might not sound interesting but it is very delicious in reality. I also recommend having Payasam along with this. If you like sweets there are a lot of sweets that are a must try as Indian Sweets are as popular as the Spicy food here. Be careful to choose your Hotel destination wisely so that you can relish every bite of food that you had in INDIA.
    Good Luck. Safe Journey.

12. iamawriter

iamawriter Member

Each State of India boasts of their own specialities. One cannot possibly cover what spicy food India can offer you. I will restrict it to South India We have from very spicy to less spicy food as there are many like myself who prefer less spicy food.
    Fish curries are the spiciest and certain pork dishes. Pork vindalu is something that you should try the origins of which are from Goa

porkvindalu.jpg

Image Source: Salt & spice