1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What shots do you need?

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by PrincessTigerLily, Jul 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. From those who have traveled to India already, what shots can I expect to need before I leave on a trip to India? Would I need to acquire a list to take to my doctor's, or would I simply tell the doctor where I am going and they would know what shots I need?

This is something I know nothing about, as the only places I have traveled thus far I did not need shots before entering the country (ie Canada, UK, etc.)

2. EdmondE

EdmondE New Member

Sorry to piggyback on your question! As I have never been to India (yet!) and am planning on going soon, I too am curious about what shots are necessary for safe travel to the country. I am also wondering, however, if there is any alternatives to getting the medicines via syringe. I am extremely afraid of needles. it is a full-blown phobia. If there is a pill or something of that nature that accomplishes the same vaccinations and immunizations, I sure would be relieved!

PrincessTigerLily likes this.

3. arunava basu

arunava basu New Member

This is one question people used to ask 50 years back. These days, I assure you, you would not need any sort of precautionary medications or shots before or after visiting India. Diseases like Malaria and other mosquito borne ailment have been taken care of and we have made significant progress in the path of eradicating them. They are easily curable now in a matter of a few days. But there are some forests in India where you need to have vaccines before entering them and the local authority is responsible for administering those shots. other than this India have been a safe hospitable place barring some occasional mishaps.

PrincessTigerLily likes this.
  4. That's interesting, Arunava, because I have heard otherwise. Could you please tell us where you are getting that information so that we can confirm this? My sister had to have shots before traveling to Germany, so I can't see how India would not require any. Sometimes, I believe, it is as much to protect the country from disease a traveler may bring in that it is to protect the traveler.

Here's something I found on Web MD that suggests the contrary:

Vaccines Needed for Travel to India

5. jaden11218

jaden11218 New Member

I don't know which ones are required to enter the country, but for your personal well-being it might be a good idea to contact your family doctor. Let them know where you are traveling to and if there are any recommended shots that you should get before leaving. They may even know what is required. Hepatitis A and Typhoid are definitely recommended. WebMD also suggests getting shots for Japanese Encephalitis, Hepatitis B, Yellow Fever, and Rabies. I believe there are also preventative medicines for malaria that doctors can give you. As long as you are up to date on your shots and have your doctor give you these extras then you should be fine health-wise.

6. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I think that the best place to inform your self is not a forum but official places that you can call or even check the website for the info. If this is something that is obligatory or it was obligatory the government will surely write a note on their official site and have everything transparent and easily explained for potential tourists. I really do not know if this is true but I am guessing that this kind of info is better acquired in this fashion than using a forum.

7. MissT

MissT New Member

When my husband and I traveled to India last year, we each had to get a couple of vaccines. I don't think that they are the same for everyone. I suppose the best place for you to get the right information is from your own doctor. I would not think that anyone here is qualified to advise you on the right vaccine for you. Better be safe and get the correct information from the right sources.

8. Normad

Normad New Member

I think your best bet is for you to get the information that you need from an official and trusted source. We would all like to help but only your doctor will be able to give you the correct information. I do think you need to get yourself vaccinated for a couple of things when you travel to India, but I'm not too sure if iths the same for everyone.

9. GammaRay

GammaRay Member

You'll be fine if you're just visiting highly urbanized areas for 1-2 days generally but if you're staying somewhere new for a week or more and travelling to provincial areas then I suggest you get your flu, malaria, hepatitis etc. shots from your doctor. But ofcourse get his professional medical opinion first he/she might tell you not to get all the shots in one day because you might suffer from dizziness and the like and certain shots shouldn't be mixed. Prepare to get shots atleast 2 weeks in advance.