1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do You Need A Visa If You're French

Discussion in 'Visa and Passport' started by Teheura, Jan 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Teheura

Teheura New Member

I am a little confused on getting a visa to visit India. I am French and was wondering where I could apply for a visa. I don't live in France, but instead in a French Territory called French Polynesia Tahiti. Here we don't have access to an India council. Is it possible to try and apply for a visa online.

2. DhongiBaba

DhongiBaba Active Member

Yes you can apply for a visa online as France is one of the countries that is listen in the visa on arrival countries list. Have a look at this thread about visa on arrival and procedure.

3. Elizabetonth

Elizabetonth Member

DhongiBaba is right, but it's also worth checking to see that India considers French Polynesia Tahiti to be part of France, for visa purposes. Try e-mailing the Indian embassy in Paris, and telling them your situation. Ask them if you can apply online, or if you need to do something else to get your visa.

4. xTinx

xTinx Member

Well the guys above have already said it. It would be better to check out the Indian Embassy in your country so that you grab a copy of the requirements and comply right away. Apparently, French Polynesia is considered a territory of France, so you're technically a French citizen. French citizens need to present a tourist visa upon arrival to India.

5. Bonzer

Bonzer New Member

XTinx, above is correct. You are treated as a French citizen for all practical purposes. You may apply online or get a visa on arrival. If you don't have an Indian council in Tahiti, you've to approach nearest Indian consulate/embassy in mainland France for processing any of your travel documents.

I hope this helps.

6. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I researched about your case and from what I've gathered, citizens of French Polynesia residing in French Polynesia are required to apply for an Indian visa prior to entering India. But like you said, there is no Indian Embassy from where you are. You can opt to apply for an visa from a nearby state or even in France. Otherwise, try applying online or maybe contacting the Indian Embassy via their site and inquiring about your case.

There's an Indian Embassy in Paris. Here are the centres to which you can submit your application:

• Paris: 42-44, Rue de Paradis, 75010 Paris
    • Marseille: 18-22, Rue Edmond Rostand, 13006 Marseille
    • Lyon: 20 rue de la Villette, Le Bonnel 5th Floor, 69328 Lyon Cedex 03
    • Strasbourg: 20, place des Halles, 67000 Strasbourg, Tour Europe-13th Floor
    • Bordeaux : 81, Boulevard Pierre 1er, 33110 Le Bouscat, Bordeaux
    The shortest one would be from French Polynesia to Lyon, but it still requires travel via airplane. So I'd suggest for you to inquire in the Ambinde Website so they can guide you on what to do.

I hope this helps!