1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When Does School Start in India

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chit Chat' started by Vishali, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Vishali

Vishali New Member

Plans are being made to shift to India, and there is a lot of work which has to be done before moving. School comes first as its important for the kids. I have tried speaking to a lot of schools, but they seem very harsh in talking and don't really seem to give straight answers.

I know my query is not travel related, but I thought I would try to get answers from here. I need to find out when
    does school start in India. So I can apply for admissions accordingly.

2. Fredy Mejia

Fredy Mejia New Member

School in India is so much different than in other counties. India will usually run a full year academic year with only about 4 weeks of break in total. But the beginning of each academic year starts around June/July and if you want to be considered for the next academic year I would recommend you applying for admission about 5-6 months before. Good luck!

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

There are some differences as to when school starts in different parts of India. Generally, it's as follows:

For local schools

• In New Delhi and other Northern states - School begins in April.
    • In Mumbai and other Southern states - School begins in June and can continue until March or April. April to May is considered the summer vacation.
    • In Eastern states - School begins in April and continues until March.
    For international schools
    • Begins in April and takes a break during May to June. Some end in May or June and has holidays until July to August.
    I hope this helps!