Where To Go For A Tour

Discussion in 'Itinerary' started by Alexandoy, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

I understand that India is a large country and I admit that I have zero knowledge of this country. Now I am beginning to realize that it is not easy to tour India. The first question is what airport should we land? Like out trip to Vietnam later this month, someone advised us to get a plane ticket to Ho Chi Minh instead of Hanoi since there are more sights to see in Ho Chi Minh, that's formerly called Saigon. So now, which airport do we go to, in New Delhi, in Mumbai or any other?

I am a jet setter, my wife and I travel at least 2 times a year. This year we had been to Beijing and Kuala Lumpur and later this year we have trips to 3 more countries. Now I am considering India as an itinerary for next year.

FlexiTours and Chahal like this.

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

It really depends on what sort of destinations you like. India has almost everything that you can imagine like beaches, mountains with plenty of hill stations, desert, wild life you name it and we most likely would have it at one of our holiday destinations.

If you would like to venture into the Himalayas and go to places like Leh in Ladakh or even other Himalayan holiday destinations then New Delhi would be best. You can also go to Rajasthan which is a tourist hotspot with the Golden triangle tour being a popular choice. Delhi - Agra- Jaipur.

You are from the Philippines so I am guessing you are not coming to India for its beaches as you have plenty back home aswell but if you are interested in touring the Southern India for its temples and back waters then Chennai or even Mumbai airport would be a good choice. Bangalore could also be considered as that is pretty much in the middle of everything you would want to see.

I would suggest browsing through the forum a bit and see what interests you the most before you decide about the airport. I am sure it would be a touch decision to make :)

Gabydi and Alexandoy like this.

3. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

@Chahal, the Himalayas was not in my mind but since you mentioned it, well I probably would make that the number 1 in my list. After reading the difficulty of visiting Taj Mahal, it was relegated to low priority. And so it is New Delhi that is the most likely destination for us since it is near the Himalayas. I will still be exploring this site and I guess I can get what I want because almost all the threads are informative and honestly, I am being choked by the information. I really didn't know that India has so many good places.

I hope we can get a discounted plane ticket for next year although our favorite airline - Cebu Pacific - has not included India in its regular routes. But maybe Philippine Airlines has and I am a member of its discount club too.

4. nomad

nomad New Member

It's wonderful you're able to travel so much! You'l have a great time in India, especially as seasoned travelers. How long do you think you will spend in India?

If you're interested in wildlife (and you're in New Delhi) you could visit the National Zoological Park. I really like zoos so always prioritize them. I love learning about the native animals in a new country and I find that zoos are usually very tourist friendly. I didn't get an opportunity to visit this one unfortunately but it sounds like it would be worth it.

If you are happy to travel a little distance from New Delhi there are so many beautiful temples in the neighboring locations too (for example Augharnath Mandir in Meerut).

5. turtledove

turtledove Member

If you're planning on going to New Delhi, you could visit the Red Fort, or even Humayun's Tomb. The Jama Masjid (biggest Mosque in India) would also be a wonderful place to visit. The Lotus Temple is another among the numerous things to do in the city. There's also a huge range of street food to try in New Delhi, and I really would recommend trying some of it out if you are going to go there.
    And, as @nomad also said, the National Zoological Park is also definitely worth a visit.

nomad likes this.
  6. nomad

nomad New Member

I second @turtledove's suggestion of The Lotus Temple if you are in New Delhi! It is really beautiful and quite unique.

Do you like to create your own itinerary or join with a group for some of your trip? There might be a package tour deal that you could find online for a good price. They often include your food, transport and entry fees to attractions if that is something you'd be interested in.

7. reema

reema New Member

Beaches, mountains with plenty of hill stations are there. Nainital is one of the best beautiful travel destination you can visit. I would love to mention Jim Corbett is one of beautiful travel distention I want to mention in the list.

8. Gabydi

Gabydi Member

I wish I could travel as much as you do. I work all year long to be able to take one trip a year, so you are very lucky! I know it can be really overwhelming when you realize how big India is and it’s hard to choose what places you want to visit.

I recommend you make up your mind first, once you decide then you can plan your trip accordingly. If you’re visiting the Himalayas then you should arrive at New Delhi. One thing you need to know if you want to be in the Himalayas is that the altitude can seriously affect you and so you need to have extra days to acclimatize.

9. Devendra patel

Devendra patel New Member

India is a beautiful country.It has many tourists destinations.Any body who wants to take tour in India can choose any destination.In my opinion Jammu and kashmir is best among of them.Many valleys,natural parks and many lakes make you enjoy in your trip.The famous Dal Lake is best tourist attraction.You can take enjoy of house boats here.Jammu and kashmir has great beauty of nature.

10. Ashwin Mahesh

Ashwin Mahesh Member

Alexandoy - since you have already shown your inclination towards visiting the Himalayas, I would suggest you to do a lot of research before visiting. Himalayas are humongous by themselves, you could be hiking a snow capped mountain with only you and your wife or skiing with a lot tourists or camping with a bunch adventurers in below zero temperatures. Also choosing the time of the year also impacts what you could possibly do during the trip. For e.g. If you choose winter then don't expect all roads to be open for road transport. Anyways wishing you a happy travel and hope you enjoy visiting our country.

11. artyarson

artyarson New Member

Depends on your touring preferences. If you like the urban area, then try the capital city of New Delhi which has lots of monuments, like presidential places for example. If you're more into the wild area, there are some national parks that are widely recognized in the world. Great Himalayan would be a good choice for those who enjoy hiking and winter activities.