1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Country Has Three Capitals?

Discussion in 'Travel Trivia' started by Debapriya Deb, May 25, 2016.

1. Debapriya Deb

Debapriya Deb Active Member

"One country = One capital" is the usual norm. Countries that have two capitals are also not unheard of. Netherlands has two capitals in Amsterdam and the Hague. Bolivia too has two capital cities - Sucre and La Paz. In our neighborhood, we have Sri Lanka and Malaysia with twin capitals each.

But a country with three capitals? Now that's something unique and interesting. Isn't it?

Yes, you heard it right. There is one country in the world which has as many as three different cities serving as the capital. Can you name the country that has three capitals?

PS: I trust you not to Google the answer :)

Regards,
    Deb

Wrangler likes this.

2. Wrangler

Wrangler New Member

South Africa is the only country in the world which has three capitals.

I must admit that I was unaware of this interesting info and had to rely on Google to get the answer.

Debapriya Deb likes this.

3. Debapriya Deb

Debapriya Deb Active Member

South Africa is indeed the right answer. It is the only country to have three capital cities.

The Government functions in South Africa are split among three different cities - Cape Town, Pretoria and Bloemfontein. Cape Town serves as the Legislative Capital, while Pretoria is the Administrative Capital and Bloemfontein serving as the Judicial Capital. It's a unique feat as no other country in the world has three capitals.

Regards,
    Deb

4. tabby

tabby Member

Wow! This is indeed one piece of trivia. I didn't know that a country can have more than one capital, much more 3. Following instructions, I didn't Google, but waited for someone to answer it here, haha! Anyway, that aside, I've always thought Cape Town is the ONLY capital of South Africa. I didn't know until now that it has indeed 3. I wonder what prompted their government to split and declare 3 cities as their capital. Amazing fact!

Debapriya Deb likes this.
  5. cecejailer

cecejailer New Member

South Africa has too capitals? How weird. Why did that happen? When? That's really interesting but somehow confusing. I would expect this from North Africa as they have a vast number of countries and even inside those countries there are other smaller ones commanded by different tribes, but I didn't expect this from South Africa at all.