1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Women Only Buses

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by LydiaJJ, Feb 25, 2016.

1. LydiaJJ

LydiaJJ New Member

It's good to read that the Indian government are adding over 140 buses to the women only fleet. Of course in an deal world there would be no need for gender segregation on public transport, but as there is it's important that decent provision exists. Perhaps in the interest of fairness there should be some 'men only' buses too. What are your thoughts?

2. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Well they actually have this in Japan on the trains there, they have women only carriages! Since the trains there get quite crowded particularly in peak hour times, it is something that is done to protect women from being groped or anything like that. Like you said, in an ideal world it would be nice for these things to not have to exist but I guess it's just a reality, and I would rather things like this be in place to prevent it rather than just turn a blind eye to the fact that things like this do exist.

LydiaJJ likes this.

3. Arianne

Arianne Member

This would be an added bonus if you were traveling with another woman. Doesn't really work when you're traveling with your male partner or husband.

4. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Oh good point! That would make things a little awkward and difficult if you had to be separated because of gender specific buses! I think though that from the sounds of the original post that it's only certain buses being added to their fleet that are women only - I'm sure they still have mixed gender buses too :) probably just a personal preference thing as to which one people take!

5. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

I have never seen a women only or men only bus anywhere in India. I heard some suggestions were made for Delhi where public transport is a mess and buses are packed during office hours so that would help reduce a bit of load on the current infrastructure. I believe just adding more buses to the current fleet without the male/female tag on them would be a better idea.

6. Debapriya Deb

Debapriya Deb Active Member

Women only buses, painted in pink-purple shades, are operated by BMTC in Bangalore. Not sure whether these are still in service or not, but the initiative had received some serious flaks from different quarters as the buses used to run at just around 10% of their capacity.

And yeah, women only local trains are operational in Kolkata, running under the banner of 'Matribhumi Special'. The service often finds itself in the news, but for all the wrong reasons.

Regards,
    Deb

7. LydiaJJ

LydiaJJ New Member

Deb, can you tell us more about why the service makes the news for the wrong reasons? I am sure some men protest at the idea that they are all labelled as sexual predators.

Amelia, I have read about those trains in Japan. Considering the way people are squeezed into trains there the risk of accidentally touching someone must be huge.

8. Maja

Maja Member

I think that this is actually good, especially on buses and trains where it can easily get crowded and people brush each other's bodies. This will not only prevent girls from being groped by unscrupulous individuals but this can also prevent misunderstandings. In crowded places such as the inside of the buses or trains, we may accidentally bump or touch parts of another person's body. And this may cause some altercation.

9. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I think segregation like this has its pros and cons. Personally, I support it, but feel like they should tackle the root problem. People should not be harassing women and creating the need for their own buses. that is a cultural problem which needs to be addressed through education. Having women only buses in this situation will not solve the problem, and may make things worse in those instances where men and women do interact.

10. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

While I agree that in an ideal world there shouldn't be any need for women only busses, the sad fact is that there is. I'm sure that things such as this will annoy a lot of people, but if anything should happen to a female member of their family in a mixed bus, then I'm sure they'd quickly change their tune.

11. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

Yes, I definitely agree. Sometimes equality is a good thing, but with the recent events in India, I think it is better to be safe than sorry when it comes to public transportation. Let the ladies have their own transports, if that would mean a safer and worry-free travel for them. This may seem like a regression in terms of equality, but it is definitely for the best.

pwarbi likes this.
  12. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

The equality issue is bound to get raised here I think and like you say, it does feel like a step back in terms of where that's concerned, but that doesn't stop it from needing to be done.

Equal rights is one thing, but safety and security needs to take precedence over everything else in my opinion.

13. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

I have read that these women-only buses are found in Delhi, Bombay, Calcutta and Chennai. I think it's a great idea as well, we also have these women-only trains in here. And yes, I have ridden it countless of times. Even though it's still jam-packed, at least even if I get super close to someone, it's a woman and I won't be bothered as much. I don't ride the other side of the train anymore, even though it's both for men and women. Even if I'm with my boyfriend or my guy friends, I'd still separate from them and ride the train for women only.

With regards to men having their own bus, why not? I've read one article that sometimes, men board the women-only buses. In here, elderly men are allowed to ride the women-only trains, as long as they're above 65 years old and that's fine with me. Men should have their own buses to avoid the confusion that they have as to why it's only women who has their own buses.

Despite the harassing issues and equality issues, it's the only way to protect the women. Not all men cross the boundaries, that's for sure. But I've been a victim of harassment in public transportation already, so I do understand the need for separating both genders from each other. And maybe if men can have their own buses, they won't feel like there's an inequality happening.

However, if the authorities can be more strict and provide more security officers in the bus, then this could solve these issues and there would be no need for separation of both genders. I long for that day though, where we can feel safe anywhere we go, without the need to constantly protect ourselves or our belongings.

14. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

It's just a shame that we have to resort to these measures in this day and age at all though really.

Women only busses, male only, children only...we should all be able to be safe on the same busses together, and maybe if there was extra security like you say, then that could happen.