1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Women Only Travel Agencies

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by amelia88, Oct 1, 2015.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I read an article today in the Financial Times about the rise of Women only travel agencies that are popping up in India.

The article spoke of one particular travel agency called Women on Wanderlust, which was ultimately designed for solo women travellers who want to see the world, ideally with other like minded women. The article mentioned that Indian women rarely go out and travel alone.

A couple of questions for you all - what do you think of this concept of women only travel agencies? If you're not from India, do you think this concept would work in your home country? And if you are from India, what are your thoughts? I'm particularly curious about the statement in the article that said Indian women rarely would go and travel alone, and whether that's representative or not.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

I think this is a great idea. The problem with a woman travelling alone is that she is seen as more vulnerable and in danger than men who travel alone. The risk for certain dangerous situations are higher for women too. And I think it's the same for my country. You can't even go out alone at night here. It's just too scary to be a woman nowadays. So yes, I think it is representative of women from my country too. Though of course, travelling with other females may just be more ideal than being alone.

amelia88 likes this.

3. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I agree with you both from a safety aspect and also from the idea of traveling with other females. I think as an adult it can be hard to make new friends - so this might be seen by some as a way of also expanding their friendship circle.

Like you said though, a lot of people would agree that it can be scary being a woman these days and traveling solo!

4. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

While I do think that it's a good idea, it's just a shame that things have come to this in the first place. Women should be able to travel safely on their own, but I guess an agency like this just reflects on how society is at the moment, and if women feel safer using a company like this then that can only be a good thing, even if I don't think it should be necessary in the first place.

5. arthnel

arthnel Member

I think this concept could actually work in the US but not under the guise of women being vulnerable or in danger from men or anything like that. If the concept is tied into other ways of empowering women, or encouraging hard-working women into great vacations then I can understand that. It is possible to get lots of destinations to throw in some great discounts or group packages with attractions targeted to women like with loads of facials, health tourism and so on, but not because of vulnerability issues.