1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would You Drink During Local Festivities Even If You're Not A Drinker?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by OursIsTheFury, Apr 28, 2016.

1. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

I'm curious at what you guys think of the subject. I have never drank or smoked, but apparently it is disrespectful in social gatherings to say no to a shot or two when everyone else is drinking. What would you do in this situation? And I'm not just saying in India; I'm asking if you get asked anywhere in the world while on vacation. What do you do?

2. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I don't drink much, but I do what is expected of me in social situations. If it is a problem, you can take your drink and just pretend to have it. Sip it, dump it, keep it all night long. At times, it is very important, because everyone might supposed to get drunk, be a bit more honest and loose with themselves. It would be wrong to be sober in that situation, since it is like taking advantage of everyone else.

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I'm a big fan of the saying "when in Rome..." So I think that even if you wouldn't do something in your everyday life, if you're visiting a certain area then it's important to at least try and fit in.

That's probably even more important if it involves a festival of some sort, as cultural differences can be seen as being disrespectful if you don't at least try and fit in.

4. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I'm not a big drinker either, but I do think that if it's culturally acceptable then it's okay to partake. For instance, when I was in Vanuatu on vacation I drank something called kava which is a drink made from kava leaves - it's basically like a sedative drink! I didn't drink much of it, but it's a big part of their culture and customs so it felt more appropriate to partake than to decline.

5. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

Interesting takes on drinking socially. I guess if the choice is between insulting your hosts and letting go of your rules a little, then the answer is pretty simple, huh? I really hate drinking, even in social situations, but you guys turned my mind on the matter. Thanks. I guess it wouldn't be so bad to drink a little if it would mean getting to know the local people better, and be a part of the celebration that is taking place.

6. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I really do not give a damn about these things. Call me rude if you want but I do how I feel like. If I do not drink I won't have a single sip and no custom or a tradition can change that. Traditions and customs along with everything else that we invented is just there for us to do something or to find excuse for something. I respect laws of nature and really just try to find some golden ratio between stupid traditions and being hated for not following them.

7. Norjak71

Norjak71 New Member

One of the funnest things about traveling to different areas to experience their culture. If you are totally against drinking period or are sober than of course don't dabble in that; however, if you're just a light or social drinker maybe give it a try you might be surprised! You might not get to go back so do what you can there and experience and enjoy yourself. If not, I'm sure they have other options as they will accommodate most people otherwise they would probably lose business. They know they have tourists there as well so I would be hard-pressed to think they wouldn't be more than willing to offer a wide array of different beverages from non-alcoholic and beyond.

8. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

While I respect peoples opinions on the subject, I also respect people different cultures aswell. I don't think somebody who travels to a different country should say I don't care what their culture is, I'll do what I want and not care who I insult or offend.

Sampling different cultures is all part of the enjoyment of travelling, but if your mind is closed, then you might aswell just travel round your own country only instead.

9. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

I'm not much of a drinker myself but if ever there's a social situation calling for it in the country I'm visiting, why not? I mean, I do love getting to know the locals and being able to see them live their everyday lives. I like eating the same food that they do and even drinking the same water that they do.

The same goes for drinking, although I'm not a fan of alcohol, I make it a point to at least try a local alcoholic drink in each country I visit. I even tried out local alcoholic drinks in certain areas of my country. So I wouldn't think twice about trying out other countries' alcoholic drinks in special events or festivities.

I think that experiencing the culture and traditions of the people, the locals, is one more aspect of travelling. It adds up to that authentic experience and it's something you can cherish for the rest of your life. If I only get to visit a country once, I'd surely try out everything that that country has to offer, from exotic foods to local alcoholic beverages.

But if it's simply drinking to get drunk and more so if we're just drinking international brands of alcohol, I'd be apprehensive. I'd still drink a little but just out of respect.

pwarbi likes this.
  10. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

That's what I'm meaning though. I'm not saying you have to get drunk because that's what the locals are doing, I just mean if you're offered a drink as a toast, or to celebrate an occasion, even if you don't drink there's no harm in accepting just out of being polite.

If you have your own medical or religious reason not to then that's obviously fair enough, but don't point blank refuse just because of your principles, because that just comes across as being rude in my opinion.

11. Elaine Lat

Elaine Lat Member

I don't think I would especially when I'm in an unfamiliar territory. I haven't drunk anything alcoholic in almost nine years and even before that, I rarely drink which is why I have low alcohol tolerance. There are lots of possible things that could happen like getting robbed and drugged. I may sound paranoid but it could happen. Plus, it would be better to join in the festivities sober and indulge myself with the sights and the food instead.

12. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

There's a difference between getting drunk and having a drink though! Also sometimes there are festivals in the world where your expected to take a drink and a refusal could offend the host.

I'm sure having a sip of a local traditional brew isn't going to make you any more vulnerable, but I do understand the safety concerns if you do have a little too much.

13. Elaine Lat

Elaine Lat Member

I did mention that I have low alcohol tolerance and if I had to buy a bottle just to have a sip would be a waste of money. That and being slipped on a drug are possibilities and risks I simply cannot take. A host doesn't have to be offended if he has an opened mind to such things. Needless to say, I won't have to go anywhere that I would have to have a drink.

pwarbi likes this.
  14. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

You mentioned festivals and so I was just pointing out that some religious festivals you get offered a drink, that's barely even a mouthful (not a full bottle), and it COULD be taken offensively if you just wave them away without accepting.

Everyone as their own right to drink or not, I was just pointing out what I've seen and been told myself. It's better to accept the glass of wine even if you have no intention of actually drinking it.

15. Linda Nyabundi

Linda Nyabundi New Member

You don't have to drink much or alcoholic drinks if you never take alcohol. However, there are so many things you can drink while on vaca or on holiday or when with a group of people who are all drinking. For instance, before i started drinking alcohol :), i used to drink non-alcoholic cocktails. There are not many out there since most are alcoholic but you cannot miss a non-alcoholic cocktail or a light punch drink to keep you going. Or you can just do energy drinks to keep your energy level up and similar to those who have taken alcoholic drinks. Don't force yourself to drink alcohol just to fit in or please people, find a non-alcoholic alternative to get you going

16. AnnaBanana

AnnaBanana New Member

If I were with people I felt very comfortable with, I believe I would have a few drinks in a social setting, particularly if I knew it was considered to be a rebuff if I were to decline. I wouldn't consume very much however, as I am not a drinker by any stretch of the imagination so I'm not sure if a few drinks would really affect my judgement. If I felt that alcohol wouldn't mix well with what I had eaten prior, I would probably try to avoid a situation where would need to drink at all.

17. TyCole8

TyCole8 New Member

“When in Rome,” right? I am not a heavy drinker, but I usually have a glass of wine with dinner. I wouldn’t think about it too much. If you feel like partaking, that’s great! If you feel like it would sit well with dinner, or if you simply don’t feel like drinking, just say no. I highly doubt that anyone would be offended. One thing you should aways keep in mind; you are in a foreign country. Exercise caution and know when to stop.

18. Trevlr

Trevlr New Member

I will completely avoid taking alcoholic drinks since I have never taken alcohol. What I can only do is to try out new foods and beverages which don't contain alcohol. I also don't think that that will be the best time to smoke and yet I have never smoked.

19. vegito12

vegito12 Member

I usually try and have a few drinks when at festivals or a gathering as you know the people and should check how much you have so you are aware of your surroundings and not stressed or feeling tired from drinking, I usually try and have some snacks which can make me fill content and enjoy the drink as well in the process. I have had kava and it can be alright with some snacks or fruits and in Fiji it is a good drink as I am from there and it can be nice to see it being made and looks like muddy water, and the taste may not be nice and some people add sugar to it when they drink it. When a big celebration happens it can be easy to drink more and enjoy the party as you may meet some people after a long time, and also you may not think of how much you will drink and can end up having a lot which has happened to me a few times and ended up on the floor the next day from drinking a lot.

20. EdmondE

EdmondE New Member

My advice is two-fold. One, is to try new things! It is truly the spice of life. The second piece of advice is to use alcohol in moderation, especially when one is not used to it's effects and is in a strange country where sad as it is to say, a tourist passed out drunk in a public location during festivities is sure to be the target of a robbery.

21. Johnnie

Johnnie New Member

Unless you have an allergy of some sort then even if you don't drink the courteous thing at the very least is to taste what has been offered, say it's great stuff and done with the formalities you could join in the festivities and enjoy yourself.

I've been offered some horrible tasting beer in the past and had to force myself to drink some of it anyway because failing to would have offended the host.

22. Fuzyon

Fuzyon New Member

I find that people in India would at least like you to try what they're offering, whenever I rejected someone they seemed upset and you definitely don't want to ruin the mood of the party. I'm not the biggest drinker, I rarely do and I get drunk pretty easily but I still enjoyed myself at a local party taking some shots. Johnnie is right, at least taste what they offer you and tell them it's good.

Johnnie likes this.
  23. vkar

vkar Member

I have become an almost non-drinker (still have the occasional peg or two every few months) since the last couple of years. But is a social gathering expects me to participate, I would probably do, but it won;t a full on binge. Sometimes, you should adjust your personal choices to fit in the moment. But that's me saying as a former regular drinker, I have no idea how a complete teetotaler handles this situation.

24. iamawriter

iamawriter Member

My boss never drank but at these official gatherings he would quietly fill his glass with some fruit juice and be at it sipping it till the party lasted. It is unfair to expect teetotallers to join the drinking crowd. However, there is some logic in expecting everyone to drink as drinks do affect one from remaining sober.