1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Andaman and Nicobar Islands Tour

Discussion in 'By The Sea' started by PTushar, Jul 8, 2016.

1. PTushar

PTushar New Member

In August I will be going to the Andaman and Nicobar Islands with my family. At the moment we have just booked the flights, as we were getting them cheap. We are yet to make bookings for the hotel.

One main question which I have about going to the Andaman and Nicobar islands is being able to see all the things there. We don't know anyone there and don't know anyone else who has been there so are considering of taking an Andaman and Nicobar islands tour.

I would like to know whether it is a good idea to take a tour of the islands or get an itinerary prepared. If a tour is considered what would be the average cost for it?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The Andaman and Nicobar Islands are a Union Territory of India. During the British colonisation period, they acquired the islands and it has horrible reputation back then. However, it is now a favoured tourist destination primarily because of its blue water and powdery sands. It is possible to tour the islands even without a tour guide or package from an agency. But if you have money to spare, you can do so as a tour guide can help you with all things: accommodation-wise, sightseeing-wise and activity-wise.

Generally, a possible itinerary for the islands would be:

Day 1. Arrival in Port Blair and see the local attractions there:
    • Gandhi Park. There's a Deer and Bird Park in the area with a variety of deers (spotted, hog and barking deers) and a variety of birds (parrots, parakeets and more). For children, there's some rides they can enjoy. There's also a garden and a small temple in the park premises.
    • Corbyn's Cove Complex. This beach is surrounded by coconut palms and it has blue, pristine waters. Water sports are also available in the beach.
    • Cellular Jail. A lot of pre-independence individuals were detained in here, a great place for people who love historical attractions.
    Day 2. Go to Havelock Island. This is about a 5 hour drive from Port Blair. Visit:
    • Radhanagar Beach. Dubbed as one of the best beaches in Asia, this beach has soft, silky white sands with clean and pristine water.
    Day 3. Explore the other beaches in Havelock Island:
    • Elephant Beach. You must do snorkelling here as the reefs here are beautiful.
    • Kalapathar Beach. An isolated beach in the area, great place for getting away from the crowds.
    Day 4. Travel to Neil Island. A little drive away from the Havelock Island, you'll find the Neil Island. Attractions here are:
    • Bharatpur Beach. Also has clean, blue water with powdery, white sand.
    • Sitapur Beach. Enjoy the sunset here as it's quite a beautiful view.
    • Lakshmanpur Beach. Great place for snorkelling.
    Day 5. Travel to Wandor, about 30 kms from Port Blair. Visit:
    • Mahatma Gandhi National Park. There's about 15 islands you can explore here and typically, a whole day should be allotted for it or even more.
    Day 6. Go island hopping. Explore the islands of Ross, Viper and Coral. You can choose an all-day tour for the three islands or just choose one destination.

Day 7. End of trip, head back home.

There you go. I hope that itinerary helps you. Anyway, here's a list of rates of different package tours for the Andaman and Nicobar Islands:

1.Yatra
    • Customisable Havelock Island and Port Blair Tour at Rs. 19,250 with double accommodation and meals. It's a six-day tour of both places.
    • Group of 4 Tour of Tranquil Andaman at Rs. 24,999. Entrance tickets and fees are all provided for. Accommodations, transportations and meals are also included. It's a seven-day tour of the Andaman Islands.
    2. IRCTC
    • Andaman Holiday Tour Package. Covers destinations Port Blair, Ross Island, Havelock Island and Neil Island. Breakfast meal is included. All accommodations are provided for. It is Rs. 12,665 for a budget single occupancy room. It is Rs. 10,850 for a budget double room. And it is Rs. 9,284 for a budget triple occupancy room.
    3. Andaman Holidays
    • Andaman Nicobar Package (Six Days) Tour at Rs. 49,404. Includes tour of Port Blair, Neil Island, Havelock Island, Elephanta Beach and Kalapathar Beach. Accommodations are all provided for. Meal only includes breakfast for five days. Transportation is an AC vehicle. Tourist guide also provided for. All entry tickets are also included. There's also one session of snorkelling for some places.
    I hope this helps!

Dhruv likes this.