1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Insects You Need To Avoid?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by grace, Jan 29, 2016.

1. grace

grace New Member

Does India have any biting insects that you need to avoid? Like spiders or any other type of biting insect that can make you very ill? I can truly say insects bother me and I tend to avoid going anywhere near them.

2. Rayne

Rayne New Member

I think I would be most wary of the scorpions. There are also several bee and wasp varieties to avoid as well a mosquitoes. Surely your guide will tell you how to avoid these.

3. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

If you are in India, you must always avoid mosquitoes. Mosquitoes prompts many disease such as malaria and dengue. Mosquitoes are allover India except in the cold places.

4. Daphne

Daphne New Member

Wow scorpions? Really? Do you mean that you find a lot of scorpions when you go outdoors or are they everywhere? This sounds really dangerous!

5. violet

violet New Member

Mosquitoes seem to be the disease carrying bug. I wonder if it is because they take blood out of people? I didn't realize they had scorpions in India! Some places where scorpions are plentiful they will climb into your shoe and you need to shake it out before putting them on.

6. Aurora

Aurora New Member

I have heard about mosquitoes before, but never about scorpions. I normally always carry a bug repellent with me at all times because I am allergic to some insects.

7. Neve

Neve New Member

I have been to different parts of India but I have never seen any scorpions. Even mosquitoes tend to have a season, or at least that what I have experienced. I guess it depends on where you go.

8. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Well I personally did not have any issues, but from the other people that I met and talked to who were there with me it seemed that mosquitoes were the biggest concern. Anytime you have a flying insect that can transmit diseases you should certainly be aware of the best ways to avoid it, and there are plenty of resources available. Luckily the area I was in was pretty docile, and the weather seemed to comply, so they were not really an issue, but I can see why many people were worried.

9. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

You must also avoid geckos. During the evening,especially when you switch on the light, geckos are very frequent in the rooms. Geckos do not directly attack, but rather they enter in the room to eat mosquitoes and other insects, however considering the fact that they are poisonous, you should avoid. You must also avoid cockroach.

10. grace

grace New Member

Ha, cockroaches are the worst bugs and they are in North America too! I hate the sound of them scurrying away when you turn the light on, makes the hair on my neck stand up. I didn't realize geckos were a problem. It would be great if they keep the bug population down. I'll be sure to keep an eye out when I stand up in the morning.

11. Rayne

Rayne New Member

I did not know geckos were poisonous. How can you be sure all these "critters" are out of your room before you go to bed at night? It seems that some of them are so small they could easily hide until the lights went out.

12. Aidan

Aidan New Member

I think geckos are some of the cutest species in the lizard family. Are they really poisonous? When I visited South East Asia, they were everywhere, but I have never had any problems with them. I think I wouldn't mind having a couple of geckos in my room if they are going to get rid of mosquitoes :)

13. Ritika Sharma

Ritika Sharma Member

Beaware of Mosquitoes and Scorpions.

14. AlapanB

AlapanB Member

Nah, most of the geckoes that reside in the houses are non-poisonous. Their poop is another matter though, so make sure those things don't find their way into your food or water, or you'll get very sick.

The major player in the 'dangerous insects in India' business are surely the mosquitoes. They're everywhere, and all of the species cause horrible (to say the least) diseases. Another insect you should be wary about is the housefly. These little demons are just walking flying bags of food-poisoning. Most cases of food poisoning in India are in fact, caused by a housefly having a little snack on your uncovered food. We also have a lot of centipedes in North-East India, especially in the forested parts. But I myself have only twice encountered scorpions, that too far away from any settlements. I dunno about the desert areas, maybe they have a scorpion infestation.

15. Andy_Lothbrok

Andy_Lothbrok New Member

Gecko's aren't poisonous. Big ones might bite if you try and pick them up or something, but the small ones that might crawl into your room are harmless and will actually eat cockroaches and other bugs and spiders.

16. xTinx

xTinx Member

Geckos aren't really insects, are they? There are lots of geckos where I'm from and they're generally harmless unless you deliberately provoke them. They can bite you hard.

Insects that I really don't want to encounter when I'm in another country are tarantulas, large bees, bot flies and maggots. These are rather scary insects. I'll try to avoid visiting Indian forests all by myself and without security as these insects might reside there.

17. If you are not going into the countryside you need to worry only about mosquitoes, which are vectors for many diseases. Apart from that you need to keep your house clean otherwise cockroaches will be a big problem. I