1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anything Of Note About Driving In India

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Antonr5860, Jan 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Antonr5860

Antonr5860 New Member

Hello, I'm going on a trek across India and I'm going to consider using a car to travel. I've looked at traveling by train, and to be honest, it appears a bit expensive - and frankly not for me. Just me!

Anyway, I just want to know if there's really anything of note when driving though India. I've heard of some of the usual information (drive on the right, etc) and I'm interested in more niche information (for example, be careful when driving at X time because of Y). Or, do you have any suggestions on any alternatives to car travel (even if it's just in one city).

Looking forward to see your replies. :)

2. Bonzer

Bonzer New Member

Yep, India drives on the right. On national highways, you have 4 lanes in all. If you drive below 60 kph, you keep left and get to the next lane if you drive above 60. There are expressways, ring roads and flyovers(to ease congestion) on which you have the instructions overhead.

You got to use your blinkers/signal lights while changing lanes or when going right. You may not always take a free U-turn or go left without a signal. You've traffic cops everywhere and if you are in doubt, you best contact traffic cops.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Anyway, there are some variations in the driving rules and regulations in India and some Western countries. Since you already know some of the basic information, I'm going to give you some other important notes to remember. Here they are:

• Your right of way. Always give way to these: vehicles larger than you like trucks, city buses and cows. The first two mostly because size of vehicle does matter in India and they won't really care much about you or your vehicle. And the last one, cows, they are considered sacred in India and if you hurt or killed one, you might have to pay a fine or go to jail.
    • Making a left or right turn. Always, always make sure there's no vehicle beside or in front of you when doing so. Some drivers won't even look in their side mirrors when making a turn and that can lead to bad accidents. So be cautious when taking a right or left turn, always use your side mirror.
    • Pedestrians will cross the street anytime and anywhere. So you would need to be cautious in case a pedestrian suddenly crosses in front of your vehicle.
    • Be prepared for little space between your car and another person's car. That's just the way it goes in India.
    • Lanes aren't really used as much in India. Some drivers disregard it completely so just a head's up on that one.
    • Don't be offended when someone uses their horns. It's just natural for drivers to use their horns when approaching a red light, cutting on another vehicle or warning another driver that they're about to take a turn.
    Anyway, driving in India can be a bit chaotic but it's certainly a one-of-a-kind experience. I hope you stay safe and enjoy your trip to India. Good luck!

4. Linda Nyabundi

Linda Nyabundi New Member

Here we go

India has a left hand/right side drive
    India is heavily populated therefore so many people, cars and even cows on the road-be extra careful
    There is no different lane for slower moving cars so up your speed but do not over speed :)
    Marriage processions, ministers or religious processions are common and can hold up traffic-leave some time for delays
    Use your horn at all times
    Don't drive at night if you can avoid it
    Avoid hitting or getting hit

It is one hell of an experience driving in India

Admin likes this.