1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is UK driving License Valid in India

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chit Chat' started by Ricky, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Ricky

Ricky New Member

I would like to know if the UK driving license is valid in India? I am keen on driving around in India, especially in an open jeep in Chandigarh, something which I don't have in the UK.

My cousin has one, and he often talks about it and shown me some pictures of it as well. I am keen on driving it, but only if my UK license would allow me to drive in India.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, @Ricky!

You would need to obtain an IDP or International Driving Permit, along with your UK Driving License, to be able to drive in India. Without an IDP, your UK Driving License won't be recognised by the authorities. Keep in mind that you need to have both with you at all times when you're driving in India. These are the requirements you need to obtain an IDP:

• UK Driving License or UK Pass Certificate Valid for Two Years
    • Application Form (from the post office)
    You just fill out the application form and then pass these requirements to the post office. You must apply and submit these yourself. After which, you can get your IDP.

I hope this helps!

3. GammaRay

GammaRay Member

From experience I think you need an International Driving Permit if you want to drive anywhere outside your country. There will be some credible agencies in your country that can get your IDP and then you pay a small fee. It's quite easy if you already have a liscense from your own country and especially if it's a professional driver's license.