1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Non-alcoholic Beverage?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by atlantasports, Sep 9, 2015.

1. atlantasports

atlantasports New Member

I am not a drinker, so whenever people suggest to me the different beers, wines and liquors to try in the different areas that I plan on traveling, I do not listen to them. So that being said, what are some good drinks that have no booze in them that are good? I'll try just about anything.

2. Gabydi

Gabydi Member

Oh, I think you won’t have problems in India with this as you’ll find delicious non-alcoholic drinks. The Aam-panna is one of my favorites that tastes like mango and is very refreshing.

What about coconut water? I also love it and you’ll find plenty of this.

Other refreshing options are sugarcane juice, jal-jeera that’s like lemonade with cumin and Nimbu pani that is a very sweet lemonade.

But the most delicious is Lassi that is yogurt-based and is very tasty.

Bonzer and amelia88 like this.

3. nomad

nomad New Member

I really enjoyed drinking lassi like @Gabydi. There are lots of different types that are popular in different areas of India. My personal favorite is sweet lassi. It's very refreshing in the heat and delicious. It depends how sweet you like drinks, but I think even if you didn't like sweet drinks you would find a type of lassi that you enjoy.

travelguide likes this.
  4. bragadish

bragadish Member

Coffee and you have many fancy drinks in a blend of coffee.Moreover another blend of chocolate milk & ice cream,maybe with some root beer will be amazing together.
    If you need to make something instantly you could make Cranberry juice a bit of sherbet and ginger ale.

5. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Mango lassi is a favorite of mine. It's so refreshing when you're having a spicy curry! I've never actually tried any other types of lassi apart from mango but now I think I need to branch out a little and try different types!

6. btalivny

btalivny Member

I must also jump on the bandwagon train and state that mango lassi IS A MUST. You need to only try it once. I say once because I know you will probably ask for more after that. It is so sweet and the aroma is great. It is by far my favorite non alcoholic "drink".

7. DarkStarling

DarkStarling New Member

Mango lassi is obviously one of the best picks, but the Agua Fresca and Raspberry Lassi are also really tasty. You should also try to get your hands on a Guava Shake - they are absolutely delicious. Otherwise you should just try, since there are lot of variations upon Lassi.

8. travelguide

travelguide Active Member

I like lassi very much, especially mango lassi. In fact a large number of varieties are available in lassi which are very good for your health and at the same time very refreshing too. Some of them are Mango lassi, Banana lassi, Straberry lassi, Mixed fruit lassi and you can find most of these varieties in a good restaurant with a juice corner which is specialized in lassi making.

There is another intoxicating lassi called Bhang wali lassi which is prepared from female cannabis (marijuana) plant. It is mainly being used during Holi festival as a part of the celebration and fun. If it is available off season, I suggest you better avoid it.

9. Daniel

Daniel New Member

There is one that I can certainly recommend. It's called the Rose Lassi, it basically has yogurt with rose petals and rose syrup in it, this is incredibly popular in the north side of India, and is most popular in the Summer. You can expect it to be very smooth and fragrant to drink. The other I would recommend I have not tried myself, but would absolutely love to, its called the Mango Mastani, its a thick Mango milkshake with ice cream, it's a dessert/drink. They have so many types of smoothies that you can help and want to try them all.

10. arthnel

arthnel Member

Mango Lassi really tops the list and I just had to add to that. It's sweet, creamy and you may just find yourself looking for it when you go back to your country or even trying to prepare it in your home. Other great non-alcoholic beverages come from amazing stuff they do with beetroot and pomegranate and you should enjoy coconut water straight from the shell itself. It tastes great naturally that way.

11. travelguide

travelguide Active Member

I think of all the above options the healthiest and refreshing drink is coconut water, which is prepared by nature. It is loaded with a lot of essential minerals and vitamins. To name a few of its benefits, it facilitates digestion, boosts hydration and controls BP.

Nowadays you can find bottled tender coconut water in bakery shops and a lot of other value added products like soda and ice creams made out of tender coconut.

12. innaf93

innaf93 Member

Try dairy products and yogurts! And don't be shy to try produce not from the supermarket but from the streets.

13. knitmehere

knitmehere Member

Basically any type of fruit drink I've tried in different parts of the world ends up being wonderful. I don't think you can go wrong with fresh fruit juice. Ha.

14. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Oooh, a rose lassi sounds lovely! I am a fan of everything rose scented, but I've only had a couple of things that were rose scented/flavoured when it comes to food or drinks. I'd never even heard of this before, I'd only heard of the more common varieties of lassi that are served in restaurants here! I'll have to try and see if I can find it in my travels!

15. HIraeth

HIraeth Member

I think I would go with "chhaanch" over lassi. Both are made from curd but the former is a thinner and saltier/spicier version of the latter. There is a little more water content in chhaanch. YOu basically churn curd and water in a 1:3 ratio and add salt, pepper and whatever other spices you want in it. Voila! It's enormously refreshing in summers and is good for the system as well.

Besides this, I also love tea. Not the sober liquor tea you drink in cafes and bistros but the spicy version that you easily get in the countless roadside shops across the country. They serve this "masala chaai" in small earthen cups and it's absolutely delightful to sip that while warming your palms against the cup in cold winters.

16. Starfield

Starfield New Member

I don't touch alcohol, so I usually look around for other variations to drink. That being said, I do enjoy "lassi" best. There are a lot of variations and I've tried most.

I'm awfully surprised that no one mentioned "badam milk". It's made from almonds and milk. It's a bit heavy, but extremely delicious. I usually have it when I'm having something light for dinner and it fills me up right away. Has anyone here tried "badam milk"? :)

17. Teheura

Teheura New Member

I did a lot of research on the Moringa teas and drinks. I know in many parts of India they cook with Moringa and also use this in teas and another drink they make. I have enjoyed Moringa Tea hot and cold. You can add honey or sugar to this drink. I would suggest trying to see if they sell this locally and trying it. Furthermore, this tea has a lot of health benefits.

18. Shaka

Shaka New Member

I'm sure there is a lot of different fruit drinks to try in India. I think you'll also have plenty of different kinds of teas to taste. I'm not so sure about coffee and how many varieties of coffee there is in India. However, I'm sure you'll find plenty of wonderful tasting drinks in India.

19. freddi

freddi Member

Ha ha, Shaka - I read all the way through this thread thinking "what about coffee?" and got to your post where you ask about it. I love coffee so I'd be interested to know if there are lots of varieties or whether tea is the norm. Also - is lassi basically the same thing as a smoothie? Or is the process of making it different?

20. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I guess you could describe it as an Indian styled smoothie - it generally is just yogurt, some water, spices and fruit all blended together!

They're addictive!

21. Andre

Andre New Member

I am not a big drinker either. But on a few special occasions I have drank a bit. I normally limit these occasions to a wedding or something like this. I have always liked to toast the new married couple. Now if you don't take a sip of Campaign how can you do this? But, hey, I hear you. You didn't go to India to taste all their alcoholic drinks. I am sure you'll find a lot of different fruit drinks and other type of beverages you'll enjoy.

22. Bonzer

Bonzer New Member

I think you should find plenty of alternatives. Fruit beer, I suppose, is one. Maaza, Fruitie are some of the best-known mango drink brands. Lassi, as many suggested is a refreshing and healthy Indian beverage. You should also taste fresh Darjeeling leaf tea. You get some of the best and exotic teas in India.

23. bipin9

bipin9 New Member

If you want to drink something non-alcoholic then India is the best place to visit. Here you'll find plenty of options like Buttermilk (Chaas), Lassi with different flavors, Coconut Water, Indian traditional tea, Different types fruits and vegetables juice and many more variety.

24. ladydaydream

ladydaydream New Member

Coconut water is common and honestly one of the most delicious, healthy drinks. Sugarcane juice is really good and refreshing in the heat as well! India also has a lot of delicious teas, coffees, and different sorts of fruit and vegetable juices. And of course as many of the others mentioned, lassi is absolutely beyond delicious. Mango is one of my favorite fruits so definitely try that flavor, though there's sure to be a bunch of different types!

25. KAREN MARTIN

KAREN MARTIN New Member

I am not a drinker as well and India has the best non-alcoholic drinks by providing the best coconut drinks in the world; try the bahama mama non-alcoholic drink it's to die for! In that manner any coconut, strawberry or pineapple drink will knock your socks off and have you craving the entire visit in India!

26. iamawriter

iamawriter Member

Freshly tapped toddy has no alcohol. If it is kept to ferment then it does contain a bit of it. Toddy is tapped from coconut inflorescence. It is also tapped from other palm trees which could be termed as alcoholic