1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best place to see tigers in India

Discussion in 'Wildlife and National Parks' started by Judey, May 15, 2015.

1. Judey

Judey New Member

I want to come to India only so that I can see tigers, in their natural habitat. I know there are many tiger reserves in India, but I dont know which is the best one to visit. I will probably not visit India again well for at least another 7 or 8 years, so I need advise for the best tiger reserve to visit from experts or those who know about the tiger reserves.

2. Deven

Deven Member

I am no expert at telling which tiger reserve is in India, but I can defiantly provide you with a list of tiger reserves in India.

Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve - located in Madhya Pradesh
    Sunderbans Tiger Reserve - located in West Bengal
    Bandipur Tiger Reserve - located in Mysore (Karnataka)
    Ranthambore Tiger Reserve - located in Rajasthan
    Corbett Tiger Reserve - located in Uttarakhand
    Kanha Tiger Reserve - located in Madhya Pradesh
    Pench Tiger Reserve - located in Maharashtra
    Sariska Tiger Reserve - located in Rajasthan
    Periyar Tiger Reserve - located in Kerala
    Tadoba Tiger Reserve - located in Maharashtra
    Bhadra Tiger Reserve - located Karnataka
    Buxa Tiger Reserve - located in West Bengal
    Dudhwa Tiger Reserve - located in Uttar Pradesh
    Indrawati Tiger Reserve - located in Chhattisgarh
    Manas Tiger Reserve - located in Assam
    Melghat Tiger Reserve - located Madhya Pradesh
    Namdapha Tiger Reserve - located in Arunachal Pradesh
    Panna Tiger Reserve - located in Madhya Pradesh
    Simlipal Tiger Reserve - located in Orissa
    Valmiki Tiger Reserve - located in Bihar

I hope this has helped you a bit.

3. Bulbul

Bulbul New Member

There are so many tiger reserves in India, I thought there were only 4 or 5.
    What are the chances of actually getting to see a tiger?

4. Didds

Didds New Member

I would like to suggest one thing which a friend of mine done. He too is also someone who takes interest in wildlife and especially tigers and came to India to see a tiger reserve, he had laid out two options in front of himself, either choose around 3-4 tiger reserves across India which he would see or choose a state which has the most number of tiger reserves and explore those.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  5. DhongiBaba

DhongiBaba Active Member

It is easiest to spot a tiger at Ranthambore. Take an experienced guide with you to make sure you make the most out of your trip. Without a good guide it would be nearly impossible to see a tiger. Have a look at some of the pictures in the Ranthambore thread that GoriBride has posted.

6. Lalit

Lalit New Member

DhongiBaba I was going to say the total opposite, I think that Ranthambore is a place where you will find it difficult to spot a tiger. We went to the reserve twice on the same holiday and couldn't see a tiger, maybe it was sheer bad luck!

7. Dhruv

Dhruv Member

Madya Pradesh has some of the best tiger reserves so I would recommend going to Madya Pradesh. You can also visit two states depending on the duration of your holiday.

8. Anubhav

Anubhav New Member

Ranthambore is a large park, but number of tigers is very less. I went there some time back and unfortunately the park was closed then but was told by the guide that there are very few tigers left in the resort, but they do take you to the locations where tigers stay so the chances are greater to see, if going to a national park make sure you spend at least 2 days there in case you are not able to see any tigers in your first visit.

9. turtledove

turtledove Member

I think the Bandavgarh Tiger reserve is good, and you can also spot other wild animals like leopards, sloths, monkeys, wild boars, wild birds and more. The Pench Tiger reserve is also great. It's located in Madhya Pradesh, and I believe the probability of seeing tigers there is quite high. The Kanha Tiger reserve is an older reserve, but I've heard that it's quite good as well.

Chahal likes this.
  10. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

That is a good advice, I guess. Since tourists have limited time, it is a good option to hire a guide to achieve your objective of seeing a tiger. And as you said that it is nearly impossible to see a tiger without a guide then what's the point in going for a safari without seeing the animals? But I'm sure the guide would cost a lot unless you would hire him for just a short time only. But being tourists, I think it is all right to spend on guides as a way of helping them with their employment.

11. harpazo22

harpazo22 New Member

The first place would be Bandhavgarh National Park in Madhya Pradesh. I went there for my first trip and it was absolutely amazing. They are so beautiful. They have a lot of tigers there too. You can get safari tickets too to see forest tigers as well.

12. Debapriya Deb

Debapriya Deb Active Member

Bandipur National Park, Madumalai Tiger Reserve, Nagarhole National Park and Periyar Tiger Reserve are located very close to one another in the borders of Karnataka, Tamilnadu & Kerala. Although sighting a tiger on a safari ride is purely based on your luck, the probability of sighting one in any of these 4 tiger reserves is much higher than anywhere else in the country.

Being an wildlife enthusiast, I have personally been to Bandipur (thrice), Madumalai and Nagarhole. And except Madumalai, I was lucky to spot the majestic animal in the other two sanctuaries. I have also visited Kaziranga, Manas and Buxa tiger reserve previously, but the big cat kept on eluding me till my first visit to Bandipur.

From my experience, your best bet in India to spot a tiger is the Bandipur National Park. Period.

Here's my latest travelogue to Bandipur which might interest you (Yes, I did manage to spot a tiger this time as well :D) - Bandipur Travelogue - Boys Day Out At Bandipur National Park

And a teaser for you -

Regards,
    Deb

Tanmaya likes this.
  13. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I knew there was tiger reserves in India but as others have already said I too wasn't aware there was that many. I guess just because you go to a reserve, even with an experienced guide taking you to the places that you regularly see tigers it's still down to luck if you see one or not.

14. kokosflocken

kokosflocken New Member

I would recommend the Sundarban Tiger Reserve. If you're very patient, you will almost certainly see one.

15. Daniel

Daniel New Member

Well, you seem like your main goal is to see Tigers, so I suggest you go to a reserve with a High likelihood that you will seem them, I recommend Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve, Madhya Pradesh, because this reserve has a high chance of visitors seeing the Tigers, or you can go Pench Tiger Reserve, Madhya Pradesh/ Maharashtra borders, both of these places have high chances of spotting the tigers, and in addition camps for visitors that want to stay there a few days, that are quit nice.

16. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Member

I visited Pench Tiger Reserve in 2008 and stayed for several days. We managed to see tigers on 3 seperate occasions with no real problems. The sheer number and choice of reserves in India can be a bit overwhelming but there is plenty of additional information about nearly all of them online. I would recommend a guide if you're going to one of the smaller reserves, as well as increasing your chances of seeing the wildlife, you will also learn a great deal more if you have a friendly and knowledgeble guide, which they nearly always are.

17. travelguide

travelguide Active Member

I think Corbett National Park is also worth to try. It got some beautiful jungle sceneries as outlined in the Rudyard Kipling's famous work "Jungle Book". Being the first national park of India, set up in 1936, the park managed to retain its primeval ambiance. It remain closed from June 15 to November 15. It offers great opportunities for adventurous tourists, photographers and anglers. You can also enjoy elephant ride for wildlife viewing in morning and evening hours.

You can find a lot of other discussions in this forum with more details of this park that gives a perfect picture.

18. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

The best tiger reserves in India:

1. Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve, Madhya Pradesh
    Possibility of seeing tigers: High
    Additional: Temples, shrines, caves, other wildlife animals (monkey, sloths, boars)

2. Pench Tiger Reserve, Madhya Pradesh
    Trivia: Inspired The Jungle Book

3. Kanha Tiger Reserve, Madhya Pradesh
    One of the best known and oldest parks

4. Tadoba-Andhari Tiger Reserve, Maharashtra

These are the tiger reserves which you have a high possibility of spotting tigers. There are many more but they mostly have a low or good possibility of spotting tigers. I hope this helps!

19. sillyllucy

sillyllucy Member

I have seen tigers in zoos in America. They look so powerful. It would be so amazing to see some tigers in India, but I always feel bad for animals held in captivity. What compels you to want to see them?

20. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

I think that seeing tigers in reserves is more like seeing them in their natural habitat rather than seeing them in cages in zoos. And that is really the great thing about India as it has a lot of tiger reserves where you can see tigers in their natural habitat and living as they naturally do so. They catch their own food, hunt and sleep on their own preference. And I think reserves are great places for them to enable them to be safe from captors but at the same time, not become held like a prisoner in cages.

21. Josh

Josh New Member

Having never been, all I would suggest is from a safe one! Tigers are beautiful animals but they are territorial, and you don't want to end up running for your life trying to take a selfie with such a powerful cat. I was recently bitten by a feral normal sized cat and I would never wish that on anyone let alone a tiger attack! Be careful, smart and respectful when out catching a glimpse of the amazing wildlife the world has to offer.

22. Zhen25

Zhen25 New Member

You are brave to want to go see a tiger in close proximity. It's ok, I'll just go to the zoo. Hehe. Hope you enjoy India though and be careful.

23. Ranthambore Tiger reserve is a natural habitat of big Indian cats. its the part of Big Ranthambore National Park with Deere, hyena ,Leopards, wild boar, sambahar,vain stag, foxes, wild dogs, etc. This time tiger population in Ranthambore is in good of numbers so sighting a tiger big e chances.from jaipur to Ranthambore road distance is 140 kms and from Delhi to Ranthambore distance is approximately 430 kms. Suggest to select road trip via Jaipur.

Attached Files:

24. Mindy

Mindy Member

I would also like to drive through a park where the tigers roam free. I hate to see animals caged up in a zoo. Animals roaming free is one of the reasons that I am interested in visiting India.

25. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I always love getting first hand experiences of people that have been somewhere and had an amazing experience. I hadn't even considered doing a National Park trip to see animals until reading this thread. I'm going to do a bit more research into the park you mentioned to see if it will feasibly fit into my trip planning, but the way you described it sounds wonderful!

26. naiara

naiara New Member

I read there a huge variety of wild life in India, for example India has the largest wild population of tigers in the world. According to websites, the best time in the year to go is November to June and they recommend few safari experiences like, Ultimate India Safari India Wildlife, Temples & Palaces Safari Tigers & Temples of India Safari.

27. Mindy

Mindy Member

Thanks for the tip on the best time to go, naiara! I didn't realize that there were times that better than others to see the animals. I would hate to go and plan a trip like this, and then realize that I was there at the wrong time of year.