1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Time To Visit Andaman

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Wanderlust, May 4, 2016.

1. Wanderlust

Wanderlust Member

We have planned for an Andaman trip in the last week of May. While discussing about the trip in office, one of my colleagues told me that May-June is not the ideal time to visit Andaman. According to him, the heat would be unbearable during this time of the year and we should rather plan for the trip in Septemebr-October. I know, I should have researched a bit on the same before planning the trip, but is the condition so severe that we should think about possible postponement?

For your information, we are a group of adults with no kids or elderly people. All of us have been born and brought-up in India, so the summer condition in the mainland is not unknown to us. But we have no idea as to what the temperature and humidity level would be in the islands. Is it typically much more hot and humid in the islands compared to the mainland? Has anyone in the forum visited Andaman during the summer season, possibly in May? If yes, then kindly share your experience with respect to the temperature and humidity. Also I would be interested to know what should ideally be the best time to visit Andaman?

2. Debapriya Deb

Debapriya Deb Active Member

To be frank, I was thinking about the same when I was replying to your thread about the places to visit in Andaman.

No doubt, it would be quiey hot in Andaman during the summer days, but as all of you are from India and there are no kids or elderly folks in the group, I think you can bear it out.

You can expect the temperature to soar up to 32-33 degree celsius in May with a maximum humidity of 80-85%. The mornings and evenings would be somewhat pleasant, but the condition may get extremely hot at noon time. If the weather remains somewhat cloudy, then it would be a big relief. According to weather(dot)com predictions, it is expected to remain cloudy with short spells of rain in late May, so you can probably keep your fingers crossed. Moreover, there is always a pleasant sea breeze in the islands to cool off the extreme heat.

As a plus, there won't be too many tourists in Andaman in May-June, so you can have a quiet and peaceful vacation.

Best Time to Visit Andaman - The winter days of November to February is considered as the best time to visit Andaman. The temperature hovers around the mid 20's and the humidity too is quite low in winter season. Also the weather remains clear, paving way for clear underwater visibility, thus allowing the tourists to enjoy the water sports like snorkeling and scuba diving better.

On the down-side, Andaman receives a sudden influx of tourists during this period, so finding accommodation could be a problem. Also the prices for food, accommodation, transport - everything soar upwards during the peak season, so it can make a big hole in your pocket.

The post-monsoon season of September-October is less in demand, so that can also be a good time to visit Andaman.

Regards,
    Deb

3. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I think it is actually better to travel during some of these off season times. There are fewer people, which means you will have the beaches to yourself. It is always possible to keep cool with ac inn your room, or have a cold drink from a store. But I like privacy and seclusion, which you will not get with a lot of people crowding you.

4. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

I agree. Too much heat would ruin your trip, so you might as well avoid the higher end of the summer season when visiting tropical countries - unless you're going to the beach or something. As for the best time, I firmly believe that you should go OUTSIDE holidays and weekends - because in these days you have to compete with other tourists and locals, since they will be trying to enjoy the free days too. I actually think that it's better to just go and visit DURING school days, as there would be less people in the streets, less tourists since they usually go in the weekends and holidays, so you'll have all the places to yourself.