1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best time to visit Dalhousie

Discussion in 'Himachal Pradesh' started by AmarM87, Nov 17, 2016.

1. AmarM87

AmarM87 New Member

I would like to know what you all think the best time to visit Dalhousie is? I was considering going during the winter holidays when schools are shut, but then I thought it maybe just too cold...what do you guys think?
    Out of the summers and winters which season is better?

My family and I would like to do some activites and I know that during the summers you can do quite a lot, but is there anything to do during the winters as well?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hi there, welcome to the forum!

Overview

Dalhousie is a hill station, located in the Chamba district of Himachal Pradesh. It generally has three seasons, namely: winter, summer and monsoon. The main feature of the hill station is that it has pleasant climate all-year round, barring a few months in winter when it gets extremely cold. Regardless, each season offers something different for travellers, so you can definitely enjoy Dalhousie in every season. Dalhousie is a very laid-back and idyllic destination though, perfect for just unwinding and enjoying the views around you. But there are some activities that you can do still when in the hill station.

Different Seasons of Dalhousie

1. Winter - The winter season in Dalhousie extends from October to February. While October and November are comfortable, the months of December and January are very chilly. Temperatures during these months range between 0°C to 10°C but it's also not rare for temperatures to go into the negatives. This is not the high season but you can still spot a few tourists in the hill station, mostly honeymoon couples and of course, adventure seekers. Since it is off-peak season, you can get some good deals and discounts on hotels too, a good option for budget travellers. Dalhousie also receives snowfall during the months of December and January especially around the Dainkund Peak. However, you need to trek a bit to reach the peak and it can be slippery so bring some shoes with good grip. The main activity during this time would be sightseeing and also trekking, as mentioned above, to play with snow. Just bring heavy woollens to feel comfortable during the cold season. February is the beginning of the summer season although it's still relatively cooler as compared to the other remaining months.
    • Best for - Witnessing snowfall and playing with snow.
    • Must bring - Heavy woollens, thermal clothes, socks, mittens and shoes with good grip.
    [​IMG]
    Winter in Dalhousie (Image Courtesy of Delhi to Shimla)

2. Summer - The summer season in Dalhousie extends from March to May. Summers in Dalhousie are very comfortable with temperatures not exceeding more than 30°C. On average though, temperatures stay between the 20°C to 25°C range. This is the peak tourist season in the hill station as those coming from the plains seek some relief from the heat by going in Dalhousie or other similar places. Be prepared for higher rates for rooms in hotels and even restaurants might be fully packed. The same goes for the attractions around the hill station, they would be full of tourists too. Activities during this season would be sightseeing, nature trailing and trekking. Boating in the Chamera Lake is also very possible during this time as the climate is pleasant enough, it's neither too hot nor too cold. You can also extend your vacation to Khajjiar, an hour of driving away from Dalhousie and you can try out activities like paragliding and horse riding in here.
    • Best for - Enjoying a myriad of activities like sightseeing, nature trailing, trekking and boating.
    • Must bring - Light cotton clothing, light woollens, cap or hat and sunscreen.
    [​IMG]
    Chamera Lake in Summer (Image Courtesy of Trip Advisor)

3. Monsoon - The monsoon season in Dalhousie extends from June to September. Temperatures remain roughly the same, between 18°C to 25°C. This is also an off-peak tourist season so you can expect less crowds and discounts on hotels. Nights are more chilly though so you still need to bring your heavy woollens. The hill station does not receive as much rain but there are still mild to moderate rain showers. But truly, the beauty of the valleys and surrounding forests come out during this season. The entire hill station is covered in lush greenery so you can relish in its beauty. The Panchpula Waterfalls become fuller during this time though so it's a must-visit. You can also indulge in sightseeing around the churches, peaks and temples of Dalhousie but it can be a bit muddy and slippery in some of them.
    • Best for - Sightseeing.
    • Must bring - Heavy woollens, boots and umbrella.
    [​IMG]
    Panchpula in Monsoon (Image Courtesy of Panoramio)

The Verdict

Summer offers the most activities for tourists because of its pleasant and dry climate. You can indulge in all sorts of activities like sightseeing, trekking, nature trailing and boating. However, winter is also a good time to visit, especially if you like snow and the cold climate. Since it is off-peak tourist season, you can enjoy the serenity of the place. And the last season, monsoon, is perfect for enjoying nature at its best, while the entire hill station is covered in lush greenery.

I hope this helps you.:)