1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best time to visit Jaipur?

Discussion in 'Rajasthan' started by Zareen5, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Zareen5

Zareen5 New Member

I am from Delhi and have wanted to take my kids to Jaipur, but whenever my kids have had school holidays, I have been unavailable to take them.

I would not pre-book my holidays in advance to make sure I can take them, and to make them trip a success I need to know when the best time to visit Jaipur is?

Some of the things which I don't know that would help in going at the best time of the year to Jaipur is the weather and any special festivals or events which take place on a yearly basis.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello there, welcome to the forum!

Generally, Jaipur has a hot semi-arid climate all-year round. The region does have three seasons though, namely: summer, monsoon and winter. Here's a breakdown of these seasons:

1. Summer - This is from the middle of March to June. Maximum temperature during this time is at 45°C although it sometimes exceeds this number. Temperatures during the day time are higher as compared to the night time. The intense heat combined with the dust and pollution makes this season not a good time to visit Jaipur. If ever you do decide to visit during this time, stay hydrated and book an air-conditioned room in a hotel. During the month of April, the Gangaur Festival is celebrated in the region. This is a colourful festival dedicated to Goddess Gauri, the consort of Lord Shiva. It is a celebration of spring, harvest and marital fidelity. Another festival celebrated during this time is the Dhulandi or the Festival of Colours, where locals and tourists smear each other with dry colour.
    • Recommended for - Budget travellers.
    • Good to know - Intense heat so bring light cotton clothes and stay hydrated.
    • Festivals - Gangaur Festival and Dhulandi Festival.
    2. Monsoon - This is from the beginning of July until September. The monsoon season here is caused when the intense sun of the summer warms the arid Thar Desert. This then causes a massive area of low pressure and the region of low pressure above the Thar Dessert draws air from the Arabian Sea. This air has high levels of moisture due to evaporation from the sea and thus dense clouds are created which bring in the monsoon rains in the city of Jaipur. Moderate to heavy rainfalls are common in the city but flooding rarely occurs. Temperatures range between 24°C to 34°C during this season. It's considered as off-peak season in the city, hence you might be able to find great deals on hotels. The Teej Festival is also celebrated during the month of August. This is a festival celebrating the start of the monsoon season in the region. It is dedicated to Goddess Parvati and her union with Lord Shiva. There's an elaborate procession celebrated for two days witnessed by thousands of locals and tourists alike. The traditional ghevar sweet is also served during this time.
    • Recommended for - Budget travellers.
    • Good to know - Moderate to heavy rainfalls so bring an umbrella and other rain gears.
    • Festival - Teej Festival.
    3. Winter - This is from October to February. The month of October has pleasant temperatures ranging between 19°C to 33°C during day time. The months of December and January are the coldest with temperatures dropping as low as 4°C. Sometimes, temperature can drop below zero as well. This is the best season for sightseeing although it's also the peak tourist season. You need to book your hotel room in advance as by the time of December most of them are fully booked. One of the festivals held during this season is the Makar Sankranti, held during the month of February. It is also known as the Kite Festival, where there are exhibitions, competitions and demonstrations of kites. The Diwali Festival is held during the month of October, also known as the Festival of Lights. The whole city is decorated with lights and folk performances are also shown.
    • Recommended for - Sightseeing and those who enjoy the cool climate.
    • Good to know - Temperatures can go very low during December and January. Bring some woollen clothes and jackets.
    • Festivals - Makar Sankranti Festival and Diwali Festival.
    So as you can see, the different seasons of Jaipur have something to offer for different travellers. The winter season is probably the most picked season due to its pleasant climate and the fun festivals during this time. However, do consider visiting as well during the monsoon season, when there are not many crowds and tourists in the city.

I hope this helps!

3. Dybbuk Jones

Dybbuk Jones New Member

Definitely go in December. It's just cold enough to be comfortable and since it can get nippy, most tourists avoid it in this month. This is when you want to walk around and really feel the weather. Of course, book your hotel early.