1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Tourist Place in Tamilnadu

Discussion in 'Tamil Nadu' started by HetalSingh, Jun 24, 2016.

1. HetalSingh

HetalSingh New Member

Hello members, I have joined India Travel Forum to get some advice from you all, especially from those who live in Tamil Nadu or have been there.
    I have read a lot about Tamil Nadu and it is such a different place from North India and every part in Tamil Nadu is different, but I don't know which destination within Tamil Nadu would be the best.

I would like some guidance in finding out which is the best tourist place in Tamilnadu?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Tamil Nadu is in the Southernmost part of India. For the most part, Tamil Nadu is known for its Dravidian-style temples. But the truth is, Tamil Nadu has many more to offer. Here's a list of the most popular tourist places in Tamil Nadu:

1. Chennai. This is probably the most popular tourist destination in Tamil Nadu. Chennai is considered as the capital of Tamil Nadu. There are beaches to visit like the Marina Beach, Elliott's Beach and Covelong Beach. There's also a couple of historical places to explore like St. George's Fort, Sri Parthasarathy Temple, Kapaleeshwar Temple, Vellankani Shrine, Mosque of a Thousands Light and San Thome Church. You can also visit the Arignar Anna Zoological Park, Crocodile Park, MGM Dizzee Park, Dakshina Chitra and Birla Planetarium.

2. Kanyakumari. It is considered as the Southernmost area of mainland India. The town also lays in three bodies of water namely: the Indian Ocean, the Arabian Sea and the Bay of Bengal. The beaches in here are the only beaches where the sun rises and sets. Visit the Kanyakumari Temple which is mentioned in almost all the Hindu scriptures. There's also a water theme park called Bay Watch where kids can enjoy different rides and other attractions. There's also the Keeriparai Forest reserve which has many animals and plants so kids can learn more about them.

3. Mahabalipuram. It used to be a sea port during the Pallava Dynasty. Now, this small town is an UNESCO Heritage site and visited by tourists locally and internationally. The Shore Temple, one of seven kinds, can be found here. The other temples of its kind is now sadly submerged in the sea. The Pancha Rathas are monolithic cut rocks shaped in the form of rathas. The Thirukadalmalai is a temple built to protect the other temples from the sea. And lastly, Krishna's Butterball is definitely a must-see, a huge rock on a slope that doesn't roll over for about 1,000 years now. Attempts had been made to to roll it down the slope but it does not budge.

4. Madurai. Often referred to as the "Athens of the East," Madurai is the second largest city in Tamil Nadu. Meenakshi Temple is a living temple where you can find lots of things to do. The Tirumalai Nayak Palace is another great destination here, make sure to visit at night to enjoy the evening show.

5. Kodaikanal. It is a small hill station with lots to offer like waterfalls, flowers and orchards. The Berijam Lake is located here which is a nice place to have a picnic in. Guns Cave is a little dangerous cave but still very much worth it to visit. The Silver Cascade and Bear Shola Falls are great destinations for families.

6. Ooty. The place is known for its blue smokey mist due to its eucalyptus forests. Its best known tourist destination is the Botanical Gardens and rightfully so, it's a huge garden with lots of plants to be seen. The Doddabetta Peak is the highest peak in India and has amazing views from the top. Another great trekking site is the Avalanche Lake. You must also visit the Ooty Lake, a manmade lake, while you're there.

7. Kanchipuram. Known for its temples, herbs and silk. The Ekambareswarar Temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and is a must to visit. Another one is the Kamakshi Amman Temple, which stands in about 5 acres of land. The Kailasanathar Temple is famous for its intricate carvings and dedicated workings.

8. Coonoor. Known for its Nilgiri Tea production, Coonoor has more to offer than just that. Sim's Park is perfect for families as it is in a huge area with lots of plants to be seen. The Dolphin's Nose offers a view of the waterfalls and forests at its peak. The Highfield Tea Factory offers tours for visitors as well.

There you go... There's many more tourist places to visit in Tamil Nadu, that's for sure. But these are my favourites. It's up to you what you choose though. Why not try to visit several cities to make the most out of your trip? Anyway, good luck choosing and have fun on your trip!

Admin likes this.

3. rootle

rootle Member

I have lived in Ooty for quite some time and it's definitely worth visiting. However most of the popular tourist attractions around Ooty are not the places you should be going to. I'd go slightly outside the town, near Lovedale or Avalanche, if you were visiting the region. Coonoor is also a generally nicer town than Ooty. Some of the older buildings in Ooty; the library, the club and St. Stephens are all worth visiting. The Botanical Gardens is not that great to be honest.