1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black Magic In Mayong, Assam

Discussion in 'Assam' started by Sammie, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Sammie

Sammie Member

Do they still practice black magic in Mayong? I've heard there is a museum in Mayong that shows relics of black magic. Do some of the people still hang on to old traditions of using magic?

2. Peter

Peter New Member

It wouldn't surprise me if they still practiced black magic. Still in New Orleans people still practice voodoo and witch craft I believe. I think these practices never die off. I just think they aren't so widely talked about these days.

3. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

Black magic is very prevalent in rural India. The reason why Black magic is still rife in India is because of poverty and ignorance. In some places such as Kamakhya you can learn the art of Tantrims which is similar to black magic.

4. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Probably a dumb question - but what exactly does black magic entail? The first thing I thought was voodoo type stuff but I don't think that's an Indian tradition!

5. swalia

swalia Guest

I haven't heard about Mayong but Kamakhya Devi Temple in Assam is considered to be the seat of black magic/tantra. I never believed in black magic and tantra but now being a student of astrology from last few years, I know that there are many people who still practice tantra. Some people in my astrology class go to tantra classes as well to learn tantra and black magic. They even went to Kamakya Devi Temple in Assam as it's said to be the most famous temple for tantrics.

6. Elaine

Elaine Member

I have never heard of Mayong black magic, but I know that a lot of people in so many countries still believe in black magic. So I wouldn't be surprised if people in Mayong still do.

7. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Well this would certaily be something interesting to look into. I am one of those people is more interested in things like this though, so that might factor into it a little bit, but I have always found other cultures and their beliefs enchanting, especially the ones that are a little off the cuff, so to say. I did not get to experience anything like that when I was there, but if I were to go again I might look into it.

8. Bayleaf

Bayleaf New Member

From what I know of black magic it shares several traits with voodoo, especially spells, chants, mantras and curses, or the use of clay figures to inflict distress. The ethos is definitely similar, even if some methods are unique. I suppose people look to black magic to cause physical harm, but also to wreak milder forms of trouble in someone's life, like say to make them fail a test or break up with a lover.

9. GinaMax

GinaMax Member

It would be very interesting to study the relationships of black magic in New Orleans, and the US to the black magic of India. I wonder if anyone has made a case study of it. I think understanding those obscure relationships might help illuminate the innate human truths, which we are all attuned to.

10. There are still a lot of superstitious people living in rural areas who will believe in black magic and all those babas. They will think that they can be cured of any ailment by the magic. Although increasing literacy has helped dispel these superstitions.

GinaMax likes this.
  11. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

I don't live in a rural area ;) I also have two masters degrees.

Bayleaf and GinaMax like this.
  12. Bayleaf

Bayleaf New Member

I didn't realise people looked to black magic to cure things, it struck me as more the opposite.

Personally I wouldn't want to mess with anyone who was likely to invoke this kind of magic on me, as I have no doubt it is real.

13. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

From what I have seen and experienced myself, black magic or whatever else people call it will not cure you of a disease by itself but it is capable of removing any obstacles that are preventing you from getting better.

Bayleaf likes this.
  14. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I think it is kind of wrong to suggest this is black magic. We tend to look at the unknown at put it into categories we understand. This is useful, but also highly problematic. These practices are part of valid traditions used by the local cultures for hundreds of years, if not longer. To come in and say it is some ambiguous thing as black magic, complete with all the negativity that entails is wrong. These are their own things, and should be judged as part of a wider tradition base.

15. Sharath S

Sharath S Member

Black Magic is termed to show the negativity of its use. It is not used to cure anything. Not just in Assam, there are a lot of places around the world where it is still practised as a form of ritual to please their ancestors. I wouldn't trust Black magic to do magic to someone's health. It is something that is sought to do harm not cure.

16. Dilof

Dilof New Member

It's definitely a very interesting conversation to have about the use of Black magic in these places. I think there's spiritual healing and then black magic. I was under the impression, as was the above poster, that black magic was things such as setting curses on people and to do ill will to peoples health. It's definitely a very interesting topic though and I'd love to see a museum about it too.

17. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello!

About 40 kms from Guwahati, you'll find Mayong, which is considered as the "Land of Black Magic" in India. It's not clear though from where the name Mayong was derived. Some say it's from the Sanskrit word Maya which means illusion. Others say it's from a Dimasa word Miyong, meaning elephant. Some say that Manipuris from the Maiibong Clan used to live in the region and in time, Maiibong became Mayong.

Some still do practice magic or black magic in the region. For instance, fortune telling via seashells and palm fortune telling are still done here. There are also healers here. One quite popular type of healing is the use of a copper dish along with some chants to cure someone off their back pain. This dish is supposed to "eat away the pain."

Oh and how about their way of finding thieves? The witch doctor would put a flower in a bowl and it will start moving by itself pointing to the direction where the stolen item is.

How about stories of men disappearing into thin air or people becoming animals? The truth is, there's a lot of mystery in Mayong. But if you'd like something more real, then consider this story. Human sacrifices were quite common with the worship of Shakti until the early modern era. Swords and sharp weapons were excavated in Mayong. These weapons resemble the tools used for human sacrifices. Thus suggesting that the Ahom Era in Mayong might have practiced such human sacrifices.

There's a museum in Mayong called the Central Museum and Emporium. Here, you'll find relics pertaining to and used by witch doctors and magic practitioners. How were they obtained? The locals from the village of Mayong have kept these relics and was passed on from generation to generation. Ancient manuscripts of Black Magic and Ayurveda can also be found here.

I have read one anthropologist's study about the bej in Mayong though. Basically, a bej is a healer that uses mantras to help his clients. Unfortunately, some practitioners use the negative type of mantras called abhichara. Hence, the stories of people experiencing mischievous tricks and experiences in Mayong. The other type of mantra, called bheshajani, is used for healing, safety and primarily positive things. Supposed to be, mantras are powerful and should only be used to help others.

I wonder, would it attract more tourists if Mayong is considered as a healing centre? Somehow, the darkness, magic and mystery always captures the attention of many people.

18. Nexplore

Nexplore New Member

In Mayang some people practise black magic in old days. But now a day it is rare. Instead , some people use black magic to heal pain and for safety.

19. vkar

vkar Member

Kamakhya temple is more famous as a black magic seat to most people as it is a well known destination and tourist attraction. But Mayong is actually more known as the black magic region locally. The entire region is famous for black magic. The region is mostly rural and remote and people usually don't venture there. This has added to the mystery of Mayong a great deal. There are a lot of legends concerning the place. Kamakhya is definitely a famous seat for tantrics and more well known, Mayong is actually more known as the black magic place inside Assam.