1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brew, Coffee, Java, Joe....

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Leaving the Heartland, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Being an avid coffee drinker in the United States I always check out what the options for my favorite beverage are if I was to travel somewhere Starbucks or Scooters are not on every corner. Chikmagalur is said to be where coffee started in India. If I take this statement as truth and hunt down this cup of coffee…

What does the most poured cup taste like?

What is the size of an average single serving?

Where should I go for my first sample in Chikmagalur?

Admin likes this.

2. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Honestly, my experience with coffee in India comes from the hotels, and a few espressos at restaurants. The pulled teas which are popular throughout India, and the chai tea, as well, are really things you should try. They are the real local specialties. These can be had nearly everywhere. A lot of the tea shops serve small foods, too, so they are great for a quick stop to rest.

As far as the coffee tastes, I think they have a tendency to overroast their beans, which leads to a bitter, darker brew.

3. Destiny

Destiny Member

Well, if you want some chikmagalur you should probably go to, well, Chikmagalur. Its located in the state of Karnataka. It's a beautiful place! Though, honeslty I tatse no difference in the coffee at "coffee land" than anywhere else. Just taste like black coffee.

4. What are some brands from India that I could by in the United States or order online? I want to sample these dark brew or better yet be prepared. I am an avid coffee drinker as said previously, but I drink sweeter and lighter brews. What is a popular brand? Where can it be bought?

5. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Well, India does not really grow a lot of coffee beans. They are more of an importer, which means they do not provide much in the way of their own. As a matter of fact, the most predominate brands are for instant coffee. And, the chief one of that is Nescafe, I think. But there is an Indian brand called Bru. I think it is possible to pick that up in a specialty store, or probably on Amazon. It is just instant, though, so nothing special. But tea and chai tea has a lot more focus, and is an Indian specialty.

6. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I posted asking about coffee a couple weeks ago and got some good responses - I too am an avid coffee drinker and find that it's hard to get going without my morning cup (or two...or three, yikes!)

Apparently there are Starbucks there but the biggest chain seems to be Cafe Coffee Day. Not sure about the most ordered or the average serving size, though!

pwarbi likes this.
  7. A chain named Cafe Coffee Day sounds like a spot I need to check out! My curiosity with serving sizes is based off other places I have gone where every drink was strong and small. I wonder if Starbucks in other countries is like McDonald's? Each country makes their own stamp or creates meal based off of the surrounding culture.

8. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

I don't know, but coffee kinda tastes the same wherever you are. Maybe some are stronger than others, but I really couldn't tell the difference. Then again, I'm not really a big coffee fan, I just drink them to stay awake longer during the day. The more expensive hotels and coffee shops have more variety than your regular diners though, so if you want different types of coffee for your trip, that's the best bet when you are looking for one. I for one never really needed any type other than their default one, but I guess it differs for everyone.

9. Elaine Lat

Elaine Lat Member

I will want some coffee in the morning as well. I usually take instant coffee but I wouldn't mind ground roasted beans that can be bought from the farmer's market. I don't know if they have something like that in India because we have a lot of it here in my country. My province is in fact known for strong coffee. Any kind of coffee will do for me I guess.

10. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

It would be interesting to compare the western coffee shops that have sprung up in India recently and the more traditional ones that have been established for a long time.

I hope that just because places like Starbucks are proving popular, it's not to the detriment of the locally owned places but I think that is going to be inevitable.

11. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Well, interestingly enough I just took a look at the Starbucks India website - right now they have a couple of seasonal frappucinos, from the looks of things! There was a mango frappucino and also a roasted marshmallow s'mores one advertised on their site. Both of those sound amazing to me, and they're not things that I've ever seen at my local Starbucks here. I couldn't see any seasonal hot drinks being served right now but that's very likely due to the climate and weather right now!

12. Dybbuk Jones

Dybbuk Jones New Member

As much as I like Starbucks, I feel like I want to have more local coffee when I go to other countries. Granted, the point of corporate chains is that you feel comfortable and at home whereever you go, but I just want to have the coffee that the locals drink. Turkish coffee is divine and I cannot get enough of it. Actually I can get enough of it since it's a very heavy coffee.

On the other hand, I really doubt I will avoid the Starbucks entirely on my next trip to India. I have to admit that I am addicted to Frappucinos.

13. clair02

clair02 New Member

I don't usually mind where my coffee comes from as long as it's good, and I also like trying out new places because you never know when you might find a gem of a place out there. And you might find new and exciting flavors that you grow to love. I have never been a real fan of Starbucks coffee, not that there is anything wrong with it, but I like to have my coffee in a place that feels more like a homey cafe.