1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Indian Coffee Chains?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by amelia88, Apr 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I think a lot of the time when people think of the US, where I'm from, they think of coffee being just Starbucks.

And whilst I prefer cute individually owned cafes most of the time, sometimes you just appreciate the convenience of a chain coffee store!

I'm wondering if India has the equivalent of a Starbucks-type coffee chain that can be found easily. Maybe someone has some recommendations for me? I'm the kind of girl that seems to need her morning coffee in order to be able to function properly!

And if not a chain, does anyone have any cute individually owned coffee shop recommendations for me?

2. juno

juno New Member

I believe India has Starbucks. However, if you want to try an Indian owned coffee shop, which is a chain then there is Café Coffee Day. They are suppose to be doing better than Starbucks out there. There is also Indian Coffee House with about 400 chains

amelia88 likes this.

3. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Cafe coffee days are all over the place, Indian coffee houses are hard to come by. There is only one Starbucks in Delhi but their coffee is excellent. There are a few Costa coffee outlets and and also a few Dunkin Donuts where coffee is alright.

North Indians are not that much of coffee people but you will find lots of small Coffee chops in South India. There are also lots of small road side stalls but their coffee is very different from what you would get from a Starbucks or Cafe coffee day. I like it, give it a try some time :)

Cafe coffee day's coffee is disgusting. There is a certain bitterness to their coffee, probably roast their beans too much or just the quality of beans may be but I don't like that unpleasant bitter taste. Starbucks coffee tastes the same in India as compared to what they sell in UK and Canada, I never tried Starbucks in US as I always found myself in one of them Dunkin donuts places instead.

When I say coffee, I am referring to cappuccino.

4. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

This is one of the reasons I always take a thermos or water bottle with me when I travel. I like to stock up on the hotel coffee in the morning, so it will last me through the day if it has to. I drink a lot of coffee, and found my options were a bit lacking in India. However, they do have a lot of great tea, which is just as good. I am a big fan of pulled teas, which are not predominate in India, but can be had in many locations.

5. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

@Admin thanks for the tip - I am all for trying the roadside stall options!

I looked up Café Coffee Day and it seems like an Indian take on a lot of the coffee chains here - on their menu they seemed to have flavored lattes and all that kind of thing. Thought it was kind of neat that they had a lot of food options too, although I'm curious to know if their coffee isn't that good if their food isn't that great either?

6. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Food at CCD (thats what people call it in short) is not bad atall. I havent tried a lot of their stuff but whatever little I had was good, better then their coffee. I asked around and every one else seems to like their coffee as well so I am guessing that it is just me who doesn't like it.

7. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Does anyone know if there is a coffee place like Tim Hortons? I absolutely love starting my day with some of their mochas and breakfast treats. Coffee and a bit to eat is a great way to start the day, and is a lot faster than hotel breakfasts.

8. Destiny

Destiny Member

Yes, there's Starbucks in India. I've been to a couple, they're a little different than ones in the US. Still pretty good coffee.

9. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I love this one so much :) Not to be confused he mentions Starbucks around 6:40.

I come from a place where coffee has different value to our everyday life. I am from Serbia and we got that from the Turks actually. We make coffee at home mostly and it looks like this:

Kafa-sipam.jpg

kafaaaaa.jpg

Espresso is also popular here but only when you go out with your friends and even then I ask for a 'Turkish' coffee, as we call it here. I haven't tried Indian coffee and I would really like to if there is something special about it. If it is a regular espresso Lavazza or whatever I can drink that here as well.

10. gamer2x

gamer2x New Member

Chains try to imitate the western coffee brands and therefore, if you really want to have the coffee of India, it is better to look elsewhere.

Whenever you get a chance, try to have the authentic south Indian filter coffee, it is available all over India and the flavor is much more stronger then the normal starbucks one. The natives like it much more then the Starbucks option.

Just try to get it through a south Indian restaurant and you would be able to get it in the authentic form.

11. I need my morning coffee too, and I hadn't thought of this until I saw this post.

Costa Coffee exists in India?! This is good news. I don't think we have those in the US, but I remember them fondly from my time spent studying in England. I much preferred them to Starbucks. Even in the US, I do not like Starbucks. If you like burnt coffee, by all means. :eek:
    Cafe Nero was also a favorite in England. I wonder if they have those in India? They are said to be an actual Italian chain.

Café Coffee Day sounds like it may be a good alternative to Starbucks.