1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chennai to Andaman ship fare

Discussion in 'By The Sea' started by Chetaniya, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Chetaniya

Chetaniya New Member

I am quite unclear on a few things which I need help with from the forum with. I wish to go to the Andaman Islands, and my leaving point is Chennai.

I would like to know for certain if there are any shops which go from Chennai to the Andaman islands?

What is the Chennai to Andaman ship fare?

Where can I purchase the tickets from?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Chetaniya! Welcome to the forum.

Yes, there are ships that go from Chennai to Port Blair in the Andaman Islands. These are the following: MV Nicobar, MV Nancowry, MV Akbar, MV Harshavardhana, MV Campbell Bay and MV Swaraj Dweep.

There are different fares for the different ships and classes. There are also different fares for the non-islanders and the islanders. Here they are:

For MV Swaraj Deep, MV Nicobar and MV Nancowry (MV Campbell Bay only has bunk)
    • Deluxe Cabin - Rs. 5,040 for Islanders and Rs. 9,750 for Non-Islanders.
    • First Class Cabin - Rs. 4,550 for Islanders and Rs. 8,080 for Non-Islanders.
    • Second Class Cabin - Rs. 3,420 for Islanders and Rs. 6,420 for Non-Islanders.
    • Bunk - Rs. 920 for Islanders and Rs. 2,500 for Non-Islanders.

For MV Harshavardhana
    • First Class Cabin - Rs. 4,550 for Islanders and Rs. 8,080 for Non-Islanders.
    • Second Class "A" Cabin - Rs. 3,420 for Islanders and Rs. 6,420 for Non-Islanders.
    • Second Class "B" Cabin - Rs. 3,010 for Islanders and Rs. 4.960 for Non-Islanders.
    • Bunk - Rs. 920 for Islanders and Rs. 2,500 for Non-Islanders.

For MV Akbar
    • First Class Cabin - Rs. 4,380 for Islanders and Rs. 6,890 for Non-Islanders.
    • AC Dormitory - Rs. 2,280 for Islanders and Rs. 4,190 for Non-Islanders.
    • Ordinary Bunk - Rs. 830 for Islanders and Rs. 2,180 for Non-Islanders.

You cannot book tickets online. You can only buy the tickets in ticketing counters. There's one in Kolkata and one in Chennai, then nine more in the islands. Here is the information of the Star Ticket Advance Reservation System or STARS counter in Chennai:
    • Address: Shipping Corporation of India, Gate No. 1, Chennai Port, Opposite Customs Office, Rajaji Salai, Chennai 600 001.
    • Contact number: 044 522 0841.
    And here's the counter in Kolkata:
    • Address: Shipping Corporation of India, Shipping House No. 13, Strand Road, Kolkata 17.
    • Contact number: 033 284 456.

I hope this helps.

:)