1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chennai to Kanyakumari Tourist Places

Discussion in 'South India' started by Anpu, May 28, 2016.

1. Anpu

Anpu New Member

I am going to be starting a road trip which will start from Chennai and end at Kanyakumari and yes it is a long way.
    The places where I will be stopping will be decided by the forum members, as it is the members who will give me information about the Chennai to Kanyakumari tourist places. I am free of time, so the trip does not have to be covered in a certain amount of time.

It is not necessary that all the places on this route have to be mentioned by one member, please recommend any tourist place which comes to mind.

I take an interest in all kinds of places be it related to religion, history, wildlife, etc.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

A possible route for you would be:
    • Chennai - Pondicherry - Nagapattinam - Rameshwaram - Tiruchendur - Kanyakumari
    Here's a few tourist places in Chennai to Kanyakumari that I can recommend to you:
    • In Chennai: Marina Beach. This is India's largest beach so it's a must to visit this place. You can just bask in the water and sand to see the amazing sunset. Or maybe take advantage of the swimming pools and other amenities in the different resorts here.
    • In Pondicherry: Auroville. This is an experimental township near Pondicherry. If you want to learn more about India, its culture, tradition and religion, then this is the place to be. Consider going to the Matrimandir as well, considered the middle point of this town. It's a marvellous architectural creation, lined with gold and brings peace and tranquility to the township.
    • In Nagapattinam: Kayarohana Swami and Neelayadakshi Temple. A Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Siva. It dates back as far as the 6th Century.
    • In Rameshwaram: Water Bird Sanctuary. Lots of native and migratory birds to see here. During October to January, migratory birds come here to feed their offsprings. Truly a great sight to see.
    • In Tiruchendur: Ayyanar Sunai. A mesmerising natural water spring which attracts visitors all over the world. Then there's also the Navathirupathis which is a cluster of 9 Sacred Srivaishnava Temples.
    • In Kanyakumari: Vivekananda Rock Memorial. This is a major tourist destination here. It can be reached by a ferry only. It has two structures that you can visit and climb.
    I hope this helps! Enjoy your trip!

3. Kristin Perry

Kristin Perry New Member

In Chennai, you can see Marina Beach, Elliot's Beach, Covelong Beach, Fort St. george, San Thome Church and Dakshina Chitra etc. And, in Kanyakumari You can visit
    Vivekananda Rock Memorial, Thiruvalluvar Statue, Kanyakumari Beach, Bhagavathy Amman Temple, and our Lady of Ransom Church.