1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shortest Route From Chennai To Ooty By Road

Discussion in 'South India' started by JiteshModi, Mar 13, 2016.

1. JiteshModi

JiteshModi New Member

I made my third trip to Ooty from Chennai, and on all three accounts, I took different routes to find out which route works best regarding traffic, road conditions and duration. I am someone who likes to get to places in the shortest time so I always try finding out which is the shortest and best route, in this case, it has happened after making my third trip. I thought I would do a write up about the shortest trip from Chennai to Ooty as it would help others too and I know a lot of people travel to Ooty from Chennai.

The route Chennai - Vellore - Krishnagiri - Salem - Bhavani - Avinashi - Mettupalayam - Coonoor - Ooty is a common one which is also used by buses and taxi drivers, but the trip can be shortened by around 60km by taking other routes.

The shortest route from Chennai to Ooty is:

Chennai - Ulundurpet - Kallakurichi - Attur - Bhavani - Sathyamangalam - Mettupalayam - Coonoor -Ooty, which is only, 533km that's around an eight or nine-hour drive.
    From Chennai to Bhavani you will find a four lane road which is why you can easily breeze through the journey and hardly get any major traffic. The road onwards of Bhavani is a two lane road but traffic is minimum.

If you plan to travel on a weekend, I would suggest you take the following route:

Chennai - Ulundurpet - Kallakurichi - Attur - Bhavani - Sathyamangalam - Mettupalayam - Kotagiri - Ooty.

After Mettupalayam, you should take the route towards Kotagiri instead of Coonoor as on the weekend the road from Mettupalayam to Ooty via Coonoor is full of traffic whereas the road Kotagiri

After you reach Mettupalayam. You have 2 option to reach Ooty. First and most used route is via Coonoor. This road is mostly crowded. If you are travelling especially on the weekend then I would suggest to take the route via Kotagiri. This road is little narrower than the Coonoor road but there is much less traffic. So although this route is 7 Km more but most often you will reach Ooty faster.

2. perfectguy

perfectguy New Member

I think the best possible way to reach Ooty from Chennai through road is by bus and you must check red bus site as you can get the best and easiest way to reach there and I think it will take 11hrs and 2 min.But, I will still recommend you to check for online about this as I have never travelled yet because I don't get much time to tour.If you get the best answer then please post here but I think that many others will come and post here but I will look for your advice.It sounds really nice.
    If you take bus to travel there then it will take the mentioned time.
    And if you take bus to Mettupalayam and then cab to Ooty then it will take 9hrs and 51m,
    if you choose to travel from Bus to Coimbatore and then Cab to Ooty then it will take 9hrs and 54m,and
    Bus to Coonoor and then Cab to Ooty it will take 10hrs
    It's your choice that what route you will take.