1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Delhi - Jammu - Katra - Vaishno Devi Road Trip And Hotel

Discussion in 'North India' started by Ambika Jain, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Ambika Jain

Ambika Jain New Member

Hello,

As you can tell I am a new member and I joined here to post a few queries about my upcoming road trip to Vaishno Devi. I will be leaving from Delhi so it is a long drive and I need some good advise about what route to take, road conditions between Delhi and Katra, hotel accomodation at Katra and whatever else you think will be useful for me to know in planning my trip.

I am planning to leave in April first week and below are my questions :

Which route should I take between Delhi and Katra?

How are the road conditions and where do hilly roads start from. Are roads in hills two way with divider in the middle?

Where do you suggest I should stay , at Jammu,Katra or at Vaishno devi bhavan on top?

I will be driving and going solo for this trip to Vaishno devi, are there any safety concerns I should be worried about?

And whatever information you think would be helpful would be much appreciated.

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

There are not many choices to choose from, from Delhi take the NH1 and keep going until Jallandhar where you need to take Pathankot road and then straight to Jammu. Once you get to Jammu there is only one road that goes up to Katra. It is a long drive from Delhi to Katra but I have myself driven the whole distance with just a couple of refreshment stops. It is doable from sun rise to sun set. My only advise is to leave here early so you are at Katra during the day as it can be a bit challenging driving at night in those hills.

Road condition from Delhi to Katra is as good as it gets in India. I have been to Katra from Delhi many times and roads were never a problem. Road from Jammu to Katra is a single road with no divider in the middle but upto Jammu roads are good and one way.

I have always stayed at one of the hotels at Katra. Staying at the hotel that is located near Vaishno devi bhavan on top makes no sense unless some one has a problem making the return trip in one go. I would suggest stay at Katra and you also get free parking and you would know that your car is safe at hotel's private parking. There has been incidences of car windows being broken in Vaishnodevi car park to steal stuff from the cars.

If you live in Delhi you would know what safety concerns there are on that route, its like traveling anywhere in India. Just use common sense. Leave like 3ish in the morning so you get to Katra before sun down.

Dont miss the rajmah chawal they serve at Katra :) Have a nice trip.