1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Delhi To Munsiyari Road Trip

Discussion in 'North India' started by Abinav, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Abinav

Abinav New Member

I am planning a long road trip from Delhi to Munsiyari and I have a few questions which I would like answered before any final plans are made. To make it clear I know that the journey is long so I am aware that a stop over may need to be made. So here are my questions:

1. At what part of the journey are the road conditions the worst?

2. Should I drive myself or should I take a taxi?

3. How long does it take to reach Munsiyari from Nainital?

4. What stopovers do you recommend and where?

5. I have only seen two options for hotels in Munisyari, are there more?

6. Are there any good eating places in Munsiyari?

7. How many days should be spent in Munsiyari?

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

There are a few bad patches after Birthi falls. Thal onwards the road is not very good so make sure you reach Munsiyari way before sunset. There is another thread about Munsiyari road conditions that you may find useful.

That is a question only you can answer best. I have driven to Munsiyari myself and also went there in a taxi the second time. I personally don't mind driving again but my only concern is if the vehicle breaks down in the middle of no where then I will be stuck there for a while where as a taxi driver would be able to get you another car from base if nothing else.

The first time when I took my own car it took me about 8 hours and the second time taxi driver took 10 hours, both times with 2-3 breaks 15-20 mins each.

Nainital and Chaukori are two good options if you want two over night stays but with just one stop at Nainital it is still doable. Binsar is also a good option.

There are plenty of hotels at Munsiyari but they are all small properties. I have stayed at Vijay mount view and Pandey Lodge.

Vijay mount view is on the approach to Munsiyari and there are no shops around and the food could have been better. I was told their chef was on holidays but I stayed there 10 days and it was peak season so I highly doubt they had anyone apart from whoever was cooking those days. There was no electricity backup either. There was no electricity two days in a row and the second day when guests made a scene the hotel guy brought in a rental genset which they turned on for a couple of hours and the noise was deafening.

Pandey Lodge is a lot better and is inside the town near the shops.

There are other properties as well.

Simple answer - No
    Hotels there are very small and due to that you could actually get the cook to prepare what you want or even go into the kitchen and cook yourself. I did that while I was at Vijay mount view.

I spent 10 days on my first visit and 15 days on my second visit. If and when I go again I would be there for atleast three weeks. Very close to nature and plenty of treks that you can go for besides just sitting in the balcony and looking at the mountains.

Internet connectivity is a bit of problem as there is no 3G there. Only 2G works and that too at 32kbps and even checking mail can take a long long time.

3. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

I went from New Delhi to Munsiyari by road on the 10th of June 2016 and there are no problems atall. There was a small patch where road was rough due to an old land slide and that patch is yest to be repaired. There are a few places after Birth falls where you would need to be careful if it starts to rain which it is these days. Drive slow at water crossings (just small ones and very few).

4. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Abinav! Welcome to the forum!

So the route for Delhi to Munsiyar is this:
    • Delhi > Ghaziabad > Moradabad > Rampur > Bazpur > Nainital > Almora > Gwaldam > Bageshwar > Chaukori > Jauljibi > Munsiyari.
    From Delhi to Moradabad, this is about 162 kms so about 4 hours of driving time. Road conditions here are excellent and you won't encounter any problems. There are tolls here though so be prepared for that.

From Moradabad to Nainital, this is about 132 kms so about 4 to 5 hours if driving. Unfortunately, road conditions are bad in this one. About 10 to 12 kms here are in patchy and bad conditions.

From Almora to Gwaldam, this is about 91 kms so about 3 hours of driving. Road conditions are okay, although some patches are in bad conditions. But overall, it's an okay drive.

From Gwaldam to Chaukori, this is about 90 kms so about 3 hours of driving as well. The roads here are quite good but there are a lot of diversions and curves.

From Chaukori to Munsiyari, this is about 140 kms so about 4 hours of driving. The roads here are in bad patches. If you're taking a smaller car, it could be challenging to get through these roads. However, four wheelers might have a better chance of traversing here.

Despite the difficulty of the road conditions, I'd still recommend driving by yourself. Of course it depends on just how experienced of a driver you are as the stretches can be overwhelming. But the good thing with driving these roads by yourself is that you can control the stopovers. The views on the way are picturesque too.

Taking a taxi is a great idea for newbie drivers or those who aren't well experienced with the like terrains of Munsiyari. It also takes away the stress of driving and if you really want to be relaxed in your journey, then it's the best way to go.

From Nainital, Munsiyari is about 306 kms. It can take you 10 hours to reach Munsiyari from Nainital.

Stopovers can be at Moradabad, Nainital and Chaukori.

Snacks or breakfast can be at Moradabad. Here are some restaurants in Moradabad:
    • Bambozz Walk - This is near TDI City. They have delicious Indian dishes and an ambience perfect for families. Their address is: TDI City Road, Moradabad 244001.
    • Luckki Di Mutkki - They have a large parking facility, which is perfect for customers who have vehicles. They also serve vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes. Their parathas are worth trying out. Their address is: Munda Pandey, Opposite Hawai Patti, Moradabad 244001‎.
    • New Shama Deluxe Restaurant - Their kheer and tandoori are delicious. They have a variety of other dishes as well. Their address is: Rampur Road, Opposite Roadways Bus Stand, Moradabad 244001.
    • Loveena Restaurant - They're most famous for their affordable dishes. Their address is: Rampur Road, Moradabad 244001.
    At Nainital, you can halt for the night. Then, in Chaukori, here is one restaurant that I know of:
    • Joshi's Restaurant - You can find this behind the Hari International Hotel. They're well known for their homely cooked meals. Their mutton masala is a favourite among guests. Their address is: NH109, Manrasa, Uttarakhand 263135.
    There are some more hotels around Munsiyari:

Hotels Under Rs. 1,000 in Munsiyari
    • Hayat Paradise - Their Single Bed Room is at Rs. 300 per night only. It is very basic though but hygienic enough. They also serve delicious meals for the guests. Their address is: Near KMOU Bus Station, Munsiyari, District Pithoragarh, Uttarakhand.
    • Pandey Lodge - They have different room options. The cheapest one is the dormitory type one at Rs. 100 per night. An Ordinary Room is at Rs. 450 per night. A Standard Room is at Rs. 550 per night. For a Semi-Deluxe Room, it's at Rs. 850 per night. Bathrooms have 24 hours of hot/cold running water. The higher priced rooms have television with satellite channels as well. The hotel also has a multi-cuisine restaurant. Their address is: Munsyari- Madkot Road, View Point, Near Roadways Bus Station, Munsyari, Pithoragarh, Uttarakhand 262554.
    Hotels Under Rs. 2,000 in Munsiyari
    • Bilju Inn - This is a hillside hotel in Munsiyari. The attractions and commercial areas in Munsiyari are easily accessible from here. Their Deluxe Room is at Rs. 1,582 per night. Rooms have modern amenities like television, bathroom with 24 hours of hot/cold shower and a choice between king-sized or twin beds. The hotel also has a multi-cuisine restaurant in the premises. Their address is: Near P.W.D. Office, Himnagari
      Munsiyari, Uttarakhand.
    • Johar Hill Top Resort - From the resort, you can view the peaks of mountains like Rajrambha and Hansling. Their Deluxe Room is at Rs. 1,100 per night. Rooms have private bathroom, television with satellite channels and comfortable bed. They also have a restaurant in the resort premises. They also have laundry and room services. Their address is: Thal Road, View Point in Munsiyari, Uttarakhand.
    • Janardan Resort - Their Executive Room is at Rs. 1,200 per night. Rooms are very spacious and clean. They also have an in-house restaurant. Their address is: Bageshwar Road, Deraura, Kausani State, Uttarakhand 263639.
    • KMVN Tourist Rest House - Their room rates begin at Rs. 1,200 per night. The rest house offers views of the Panchachuli peaks. Rooms have cable television, hot water supply, telephone and attached bathroom. There's also an in-house restaurant. Their address is: Near Main Market, Munsyari, Uttarakhand 262554.
    Hotels over Rs. 3,500 in Munsiyari
    • Milam Inn - Their Deluxe Bed Room is at Rs. 2,250 per night. Rooms have LCD television, attached bathroom with 24 hours hot/cold water and comfortable bed. They also have generator back-up and internet in the hotel. Aside from that, a restaurant serving different dishes of different cuisines is also available. Their address is: Near KMVN Rest House, Munsiyari, Pithoragarh, Uttarakhand 262554.
    • Vijay Mount View Resort - Their Super Deluxe Room is at Rs. 2,250 per night. It has a sitting balcony, attached toilets, wooden flooring, wardrobe cabinet and LCD television. The restaurant serves Indian, Chinese and special Kumouni cuisines. Their address is: Thal Road, Pithoragarh, Munsyari, Uttarakhand 262554.
    There aren't really many restaurants in the region. Your best option would be eating at the hotel you're staying in or maybe trying out the food from nearby hotels. But other than that, you won't find as many restaurants around the area, apart from a few snack stalls and tea stalls.

It depends if you're just there to do some sightseeing or trekking. For sightseeing, it can be two to three days. For trekking, it can be as long as a week or more. It really is up to you. Once you go there, you might be enthralled by the beauty of the place that you'd end up spending more time than you allotted.

I hope this helps.:)